We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

Me and my boyfriend are looking to visit the National peneda de geres in July, but we don't drive. Geres looks like a lovely small town, and we'd like to stay there - but would it be easy to walk into the National Park from there? We are keen to get out into the Park away from the town and other people (after seven days in the cities!).

We are happy with 5-9hr hikes, and happy to get a taxi out somewhere and walk back (money is not a big issue - this is our one big holiday for the year), the main thing is that we don't want to end up accidentally going somewhere really busy.

If anyone could help that would be great.

14 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

To explore a small part of the park, yes it is. But if you want to spend more time there and explore more of the park (specially more remote locations) you'll have to move to another location. It can be Soajo or Pitões das Júnias.

Staines, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

Geres is probably the best place to explore the nature from. Not driving is a bit of a problem, but I believe you can get around fairly well.

You could get to Leonte, and from there take some pretty good walks.

Otherwise you could get to portella do homen and walk along the river past waterfalls through the Albegeria forest. It is possible to walk back to Geres from there, but that would be a long (but lovely) walk. You could always stick the thumb out for a lift.

I realise this might be too late a reply for you, if you are still needing info I am watching this post.

I cycled through Portugal nearly 20 years ago and spent quite a time in PNPG , and have visited a few times after, so could maybe help out.

Cheers

Marshall

Edited: 19 July 2013, 04:41
Marin County...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

My husband and I are traveling to Portugal this fall and want to do some hiking where we will come across old villages. Any suggestions on what might be the prettiest and most uncommercial area/park to do this in?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

www.aldeiashistoricasdeportugal.com/ahp.htm

http://www.aldeiasdoxisto.pt/index/6

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

Have you read the reviews? tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189171-d3…

And one more website which may be helpful: http://www.adere-pg.pt/?lg=2

Staines, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

OK, there are many areas you can walk in, what do you want from a walk? If you are happy to walk for a few hours in one place, stay the night, then move on to another area to walk, it's all possible, but with more information you might get more help.

Basically, accommodation is not available outside Geres, but there is camping.

Geres is a lovely place to start from, and it is fairly easy to take a day walk from there. If you want to do more, say walk across to another area (you do know where you want to walk to I guess) then it can be done.

There are some interesting villages in the area, where (20 Years ago) it felt like the place was "original". Not sure if it would be the same today.

For example, there is a place near to Geres that has a wolf trap. Piles of stones (like a stone wall in UK, but taller) with a pit at the end, that was used to catch wolves.

To do the area without personal transport would be difficult, but you never know.

There are some areas of the park with castles and grain stores (Lindoso? not sure), and there is an area with amazing views down a valley with stepped hillside fields. I cycled it, and loved it. If you are using buses or similar, I reckon you will miss out a bit here and there.

Feel free to ask me, but remember it 's 20 years since I went there - it could all be different now.....

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

We are thinking of spending a couple of nights in Geres in the early summer for the purpose of day walks similar to the original poster. I wondered if they had any feedback or tips.

Staines, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

I was in Geres again for the autumn, so might be able to point you to some interesting walks. I think in the summer you are only allowed to park a car at the border with Spain if you want to check out the Albergaria forest and the river walks.

I'm getting around to adding some info about walks in Geres to my website, and probably a shorter version here.

Will you have a car or will you be solely on foot? Both are possible, but a car to the border will make walking the river homen simpler, and allow quite short trips to Fafiao for the wolf trap and a lovely river, or to the tops near Caldas do Geres for valley views and walks among the rock formations.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

Thanks for responding, this time we will be on foot coming from Porto so at the moment we are looking for any walks possible from Geres village. This is just a taster to get a feel for the area but in future we could hire a car from the airport

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?

Here you have some of the trails in Gerês http://adere-pg.pt/trilhos/uk/percursos1.php

Reply to: Is Geres a nice base for exploring the National Park?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Geres