We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Geres from Braga?

Manchester, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to get to Geres from Braga?

Could anyone provide any info about getting to Geres National Park (or more precisely the town which I think is called simply "Geres". I have been told there is a bus but can't find any info on prices/timetables etc. Does anybody know the bus provider if there is one?

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

Here's the timetable: http://www.ehgeres.com/horarios.pdf

Manchester, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

Thanks that's great! Is that bus just for people staying at the Hotel do you know? I am booked into Hostel Geres?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

No, it's public transportation.

Manchester, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

Thank you!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,486 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

When you get to Braga bus station you will need to find the ticket office for that particular bus company. The each have their own and normally you buy tickets there before boarding the bus.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

A couple of questions. Are the buses more frequent during the summer months (looking at Winter timetable now)? How far is the bus station from the train station, would it be easier to come in by bus from Porto?

Thanks

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,884 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

I don't know if the buses are going to be more frequent, I doubt it because the scholls will be closed and some of the schedules exist to serve the schools. This particular company is located 10min walking from the train station, but this doesn't mean that buses from other companies will stop/depart from there. Here's another company that also has buses to Gerês area, it's Transdev transdev.pt/fotos/horarios/af_braga-terras_d…

Also from Braga to some small towns close to Gerês and from those towns to inner villages in Gerês there's this company "Salvador Alves Pereira" salvador-transportes.com/modules/…

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

Thank you. We are looking at the end of June, will the schools be closed then? If not, is the weekend is best avoided? I am really only looking at Geres rather than Caldelas or Covide or the outer villages, my main concern would be returning to Porto airport for an evening flight if the buses are so infrequent.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,884 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

Looking at the timetables, the weekends will not be afected by the school period. With EHGeres you have 2 options in the morning on saturdays and also on sundays from Caldas do Gerês, that's very good and by then the thermal baths season will also be running so they'll have people using these buses to go for their stay there, you'll have no problems if your flight is in the evening. With Transdev where it's "C. Gerês (V. Furnas)" it means Campo do Gerês/Vilarinho das Furnas which is not far from Caldas do Gerês and easy to reach by taxi if you see that it's a better option for you. In fact there's a great trail departing from Vilarinho das Furnas area along the old roman road (with several milestones, or miliarium).

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Geres from Braga?

Thanks, that is most helpful. I am interested in walking on the old Roman road, even if we have to turn round and walk back.

Reply to: How to get to Geres from Braga?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Geres