We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

Alberta
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

I just read on another post that the beginning of November is a preferred time to go for some travellers. They posted that it is the beginning of the whale migration and that turtles nests are hatching....

Those are two things that really interest me - we are going for a friends wedding so the dates weren't my choice and I thought we might be too early for the whales....

What are the chances that I will get to see whales in mid November - say the 12th to the 21st?

Are the turtles nests on any of the public beaches?

Are there any environmental groups that protect the nests, ie mark them? so that they don't get trompled on....or any kind of release program one could view or participate in?

Any info on turtles or whales in the area for mid November would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

Last year I was in Cabo from November 9th through the 23rd. I was able to participate in 2 turtle releases during that time. When a turtle lays eggs in Cabo the eggs are collected and taken to an incubator. At the release they are brought to the beach from the incubator.

November is a little early to see whales. I did see one last year but that was unusual. It was only the second time I've seen whales in November. And I've been going to Cabo in November for almost 15 years.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

The earlier in November that you go, the more likely to see turtle nests. The later in November that you go, the more likely you'll see whales. You're going smack dab in the middle, so you might actually be too late for turtles and too early for whales, but one never knows.

We go to Cabo at the end of November (the Sunday after Thanksgiving) every year, and we stay on the Pacific side at Playa Grande. I think there has only been one year where we didn't see at least one whale. And, in fact, last November there were so many of them that we stopped running out to our balcony to see them every time someone in our group spotted a whale. However, it's not normally like that - we usually see only one, maybe two the entire week. They also tend to be further away from shore, so we bring binoculars.

Over the years, I've only seen turtles nests that late in the year one time. The earlier you go in November, the better your chances to see turtle nests/hatchlings. I can't speak to other resorts, but Playa Grande puts up stakes with 'crime scene' type tape, along with signage asking people to leave the turtle nest undisturbed. I have a photo of one if you'd like to see it - just PM me with your email address and I'll email it to you.

The one thing you'll definitely have is perfect weather. The weather is beautiful and the water temperature is warm and delightful. If you fish, it's a great time for fishing as well.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
4,282 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Alberta
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

Thanks for answering my questions....

Who did you do the turtle release with? Is there a name of an outfit that helps with this? Can I contact them when we are down there or should I try to contact them before we leave?

I really hope to see whales, my friend went in Februay and she said it was one of the most amazing things she has ever witnessed. We went in July last year - I knew we wouldn't see whales and I thought that when we again I would want to try to time it around the migration of the whales. We didn't even see the sea lions. :(

We did go fishing on our July trip but I am thinking I would like to try that again..

We are leaning toward staying at the Riu again.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,270 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

Both of the turtle releases I went to were coordinated by a resort.

Crofton, Maryland
Level Contributor
261 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

Hey Goober73,

A group of us are going Nov 27-Dec 4 and we're hoping to see whales too..

Shina

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

Both of the times I have seen a turtle release was through my resort as well.

The sea lions live year round right by Lover's Beach, you can see them with a water taxi tour.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

Most turtle release programs are free. I do know that www.bajawild.com had a tour last year for turtle release. Check out the web site.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

According to the Gringo Gazette - these hotels participate in the turtle protection program.

Casa del Mar, Sheraton, Marquis, Vantanas, Hilton, Casa Dorada, Crown Plaza, Dreams, Finisterra, Grand Mayan, Monti Cristo, all Pueblo Bonitos, Palmilla, Presidente, Royal Solaris, Solmar Suites, Villa de Palmar and Westin.

When you get to Cabo check with your concierge to see if any releases are scheduled.

Mentioned in this post
Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa
Casa del Mar Golf Resort...
977 Reviews
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos...
2,311 Reviews
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Casa Dorada Los Cabos...
2,162 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
6,379 Reviews
Solmar Resort
Solmar Resort
1,970 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Alberta
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

We did take a water taxi to Lovers Beach and the captain took us by the rock where the sea lions hang out, but he said they hadn't been there for about a week.

Thanks for the replies - I will try to find out if our hotel does any kind of release or protection. If not I will try the group previously mentioned.

10. Re: Cabo mid November - a few questions....please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2010, 14:23