We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any ideas for a swimable beach near Royal Solaris Los Cabos

San Jose, CA
1 post
Any ideas for a swimable beach near Royal Solaris Los Cabos

we and 2 kids (4 and 5) will be at Royal Solaris Los Cabos at the end of June 2011. Just find out that is not a swimable beach :(, Can you recommend any nice/swimable beach near by? Can we walk or we have to take the bus? Can you also recommend any activities for us? Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,728 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Any ideas for a swimable beach near Royal Solaris Los Cabos

The beach where the Royal Solaris is located is a mile long, so there isn't much within walking distance except more of the beautiful unswimmable beach.

There are two places to swim, tho' one I've only read about and haven't seen.

La Playita is near the new marina. I've heard it has some playground equipment. But like all ocean beaches in Los Cabos, you must watch the conditions and swim with your kids. Sometimes an especially large wave comes in and sometimes the undertow is so challenging that it just isn't reasonable swimming. >>Located near the east entrance to San José del Cabo’s new marina, the beach also has a kiddies’ play structure, pristine bathrooms, and palapas to escape the rays, not to mention fishing charters.<< cabosanlucasbeaches.com/playalaplayita.htm

Palmilla is an established beach that is about a half mile from the TransPenisular highway at km 27. (I'd guess the Royal Solaris is about km 32, if it had a highway address.) >>Great for families, beautiful crescent shaped Palmilla Bay has the best swimming beach near San Jose del Cabo.<< www.cabosanlucasbeaches.com/palmillabeach.htm

Ask your concierge about taking the bus from the RS to either of these destinations.

As far as activities, I suggest you read the active Cabo forum, look at Things to Do on the Cabo page and the SanJose page, or repost with a topic that reflects your question. The one thing that I think most people need to do is to take a water taxi / glass bottom boat tour from the Cabo marina to see fish, Lover's Beach, Lands End, birds, sea lions, the Arch, etc. Your little ones might like the Cabo Submarine (doesn't really submerge.) tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g152515-d1…

Cabo Submarine is participating in the LosCabosGuide voucher program: www.loscabosguide.com/discount.htm You purchase vouchers from LosCabosGuide at half price and then spend them like gift certificates (sort of like cash, but no change) at Cabo Submarine. Usually the vouchers are 35% off, so this is a great deal if they still have Submarine vouchers in stock.

Last thought, the SuburCabos bus from SanJose to Cabo is about 27 pesos per person. A taxi will be 350 pesos.

Pasadena
Level Contributor
27 posts
2. Re: Any ideas for a swimable beach near Royal Solaris Los Cabos

This is helpful information. We'll also be at the Royal Solaris with our kids but in November.

Do you have any pictures of the beach/surf in front of the Royal Solaris? Can kids still play in the sand and wade in the water? I frequently take my kids to the beach here in Southern California and I'm wondering if the conditions are similar. Thanks!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,728 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Any ideas for a swimable beach near Royal Solaris Los Cabos

Sometimes the waves knock over grown adults who are walking on the beach and drag them out to sea. Once in awhile the ocean is gentle and calm. You are expected to use your own judgement.

There are lots of photos on the Royal Solaris review page. Click the Photos tab on the right.

calm: tripadvisor.com/…29511477

wild: tripadvisor.com/…26827018

more wild: tripadvisor.com/…25655335

Pasadena
Level Contributor
27 posts
4. Re: Any ideas for a swimable beach near Royal Solaris Los Cabos

Ha, that last pic is amazing! Thanks for the help.

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Any ideas for a swimable beach near Royal Solaris Los Cabos

I stay just down from the Royal Solaris quite often and for many years, I have very seldem seen the ocean in that area calm enough that I would allow my kids in the past or my grandkids now to wade in it although I have let them play on the beach. You will find the beach is wide and quite bueatiful to walk on. As to swimming La Playita near the new marina is calmer and as stated by PacificNW there is a playground area but I have to tell you I didn't see too many palapa's (I think they forgot to put them in) but Tommy's Barefoot Cantina is there and has cold cerveza and pretty good food. The best way to get there if you don't have a car is a $5 taxi ride from the hotel then when you are ready to go back go over to Tommy's and ask them to call you a taxi and have a cold drink while you wait for your ride.

6. Re: Any ideas for a swimable beach near Royal Solaris Los Cabos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo
Recent Conversations