We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety concerns

Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Safety concerns

I am traveling to Colima next week to spend some time with an elderly cousin who lives there. The State Department has listed the state of Colima as Do Not Travel due to criminal violence.

Most of the violence seems to be centered around Manzanillo and is between two rival drug gangs trying to take control of the ports. But my biggest concern is that we are traveling by bus from Guadalajara to Colima.

Anyone heard anything about problems with bus travel in this area?

2 replies to this topic
Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
270 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Safety concerns

I've traveled this route a few times in the last 3 months without any problems. One time our bus got pulled over by the military near the Colima/Jalisco border while returning to Guadalajara. We were asked to get off the bus and put our belongings through an xray machine. The bigger problem on the highway between Guadalajara and Mazanillo is the big trucks that often get into accidents.

Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Safety concerns

Thank you very much. I have never had that experience when riding a Mexican bus, which I have done often in the last few years. But I suppose if there are heightened concerns the military might be doing random checks. Thank you. Hopefully if my bus gets pulled over I won't pee my pants in fright that it is someone else pulling us over for bad reasons. 😐

Reply to: Safety concerns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Colima