We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

I'm coming to Colima for nine days around Xmas/New Year. I plan to spend 2-3 days in town, exploring the volcano and Sierra de Manatlan reserve. The question is what to do on the remaining six days. I am thinking of renting a car or taking a bus and exploring nearby areas.

Initially, I was thinking about going to Morelia and Monarch Butterfly park, but after reading a bit, I became concerned about the safety situation in Michoacan. I'll be traveling alone. If I drive during the day, I'll waste a lot of valuable daylight hours. If I drive at night, I might be taking too much risk.

Puerto Vallarta is an obvious option, but I've been there in the past. I'd prefer to explore something new. Besides, I'm concerned about crowds there during the winter break.

As for my interests, I enjoy going to the authentic places, museums, hikes, etc. I don't like major resorts/all-inclusives and such. Try to avoid excessive crowds. I'd spend 2-3 days on the beach, if I can swim or do smth other than sitting in a chair with a drink. Right now I'm thinking about some combination of Manzanillo, Guadalajara, Lake Chapala, and Barra de Navidad.

Where would you suggest I should go?

Where should I go on the New Year's eve? Is there any sort of special celebration somewhere near Colima?

Are there any other do-not-miss events/traditions in the area for Xmas/New Year?

Any interesting places near Colima besides the volcanoes and Sierra de Manatlan reserve?

Is the ocean in Manzanillo or Barra Navidad warm enough to swim in December?

Are there any major car rentals in Colima? So far, I only found ones in Manzanillo. Right now, I'm planning on taking a bus to Manzanillo and renting a car there.

Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

Other than the Volcanos & the main square I found Colima a bit of a disappointment staying 1 night after planning on 3.

Love Manzanillo with clean beaches, good restaurants & lots to do/explore.

Toronto
Level Contributor
516 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

The twin volcanos are actually about 25 km northwest of Colima city near a beautiful little town called Comala. Highly regarded Volcano and eco tours in the area by Jupiter of admiremexicotours.com -- his B&B is also well appreciated.

I read your "concern" about safety in Michoacan. Is this your first trip to Mexico?

The Monarch Butterflies are about an hours driving time from Morelia and are nearest to a little town called Angangueo, Michoacan. Another small town, with character nearby -- and closer to the cuota (toll highway) that runs south from ( 2.5 hours driving time) Guadalajara, is Tlalpujahua. A larger town in the area, also with good access to the butterflies is Zitacuaro.

You seem to be an "explorer" -- this, Central Mexico the mountains and the beaches, is an area worth exploring. I got the "bug" during my first trip 5 years ago, purchased a casa, and have returned many times since. Small towns during the day may seem almost abandonned. They come alive in the early evening as everyone goes out for a promenade and meets their neighbours.

Safety has not been a concern. However, it is not advisable to drive after dusk because of the possibility of encountering livestock on the roads.

jt

Toronto
Level Contributor
516 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

max_va

sorry, the volcanos are northeast of Colima city.

jt

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

While in Colima you should do a daytrip up to Suchitlan for breakfast at Los Portales restaurant then go back to Comala and wander around town then take a local bus or walk to Museo Alejandro Rangel Hidalgo This small but exellent museum has the best collection of Colima pottery anywhere and also displays the incredible art of Alejandro.There is also the story of how the museum came to be ,which is very heartwarming.

If you are in Colima on Sunday then take in the band concert in the main Zocalo.Personally I would do

this on local busses as they are much more fun than driving a private car.

Buen Viaje

Edited: 23 September 2014, 09:25
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

gracias. excellenet suggestions.

do know how do i get to comala and suchitlan by bus? how frequent is the service and how long does it take?

also, it looks like there are natural springs near comala. where are they located? can i walk there or take a bus?

jt, thank you for referring to admiremexico tours. they have several interesting options.

does either one of you know if there are any hot springs in the area? i'd expect soemthing like that near the volcanoes. i'm surprised not to find any mentioned in the guidebooks.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

You would go to Terminal Rojos.They run every 15 or 20 minutes and the guys at the station will make sure you get the right bus.You can get local busses to Rojos or grab a cab.When we were last there ,2 years ago the cabs were very reasonable and never once did we feel we were ripped off but still follow rule #1 and establish the price before actually getting in the cab.Do check out the Botaneros around the square in Comala.

Buen Viaje

Comala, Colima
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

Hello!

In regards to your question about the springs you can also take a bus from the "Rojos" Bus station to Zacualpan which means place where water is born in nahuatl, anyway from the town of Zacualpan you can take a cab to the springs or walk about 2 miles. Yes it is strange that there are no hot springs in the area. Even though the Colima Volcano is the most active in all of Mexico. Best time to go to the springs are on weekdays and before noon. Saludos!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

I stumbled upon the article attached below, but I'm not nsure how current it is.

Have been to any of these places? Any of them accessible by bus+walking (2-3 miles ok)?

Where is Zarco River--google is helpless....

Is El Hervidero still functioning?

Need advice from the locals....

With an average temperature of 28 Celsius (82 Fahrenheit), you'll always be thankful to find fresh water. In Coquimatlan, just 35 minutes from the capital city, Los Amiales is a series of natural swimming pools fed by springs. In a landscape like that of Colima, you can't help but feel yourself in communion with nature.

If, for weather or medical reasons, cold water isn't for you, don't worry. Thermal springs are another of Colima's gifts from nature. Getting to El Hervidero takes only 40 minutes, and you'll arrive to find a landscape of exuberant jungle and enormous rocks. Add to that the beautiful Zarco River. Yes, it's pretty much paradise.

Agua Caliente’s name (“hot water” in Spanish) speaks for itself. Its thermal springs by the river rival those of El Hervidero, as does its jungle landscape. The hanging bridge you'll find there offers a wonderful view of the nearby town. If this sounds tempting, drive just 20 kilometres on highway 110 and you’ll spend a relaxing day before enjoying a well-deserved rest at your hotel in the city.

Comala, Colima
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

I have been living in the area for over 25 years and never have heard of hot springs like the State Aguascalientes where I lived 6 years. I have confirmed with a friend that is a vulcanologist and there is not hot spings in the Colima area. There are many spings in Colima but they are cold. Zacualpan, el mixcoate, los amiales and el Herividero.

You can google el Hervidero on youtube and you get the idea on how it is.

Just saying I would consider other options in the area.

Hope this info helps.

Saludos!

Comala, Colima
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?

Another thing it is 40 minutes by car.

Reply to: 9 days around New Year in /near Colima. Your suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Colima