We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Hi. I have been under the impression for the past few months of my planning & research for our upcoming summer trip to Banff & Jasper, that the driving time between Banff and Jasper was 3 1/2 hours. I just happened to check on Google Maps and it says it is more like 6 hours? Same with driving time from Jasper to Lake Louise. I completely understand that these are mountain roads and there will be lots of animal life and places to stop and "ooo and ahhh," but 6 hours is almost twice what I was expecting so I'm now thinking we will either forgo Jasper and just go up as far as the glacier walk, or...take a Brewster tour so someone else gets to drive that long distance? If someone could please clarify the travel time, I'd really appreciate it. I looked on a few past posts and all I could find was 3 1/2 hours so that's probably where I got the idea in the first place. Was this "fake news?" : )

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Wow I wish I knew this a couple of months ago when planning our summer trip. Ended up cancelling going to Jasper due to the time Google said it takes to get there. :(

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,011 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Google maps only started displaying the wrong information about two weeks ago!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
298 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

I just checked Google Maps and it is now displaying the correct driving time between Banff and Jasper, of approximately 3 hours and 43 minutes.

Glad this has been fixed as it was confusing me as well when planning my trip! I was also considering cutting out Jasper due to the driving time of 7 or 8 hours, without stops, that it was showing.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Yes! Glad they fixed that! Have a great trip!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
298 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Thanks Sarah! I am so looking forward to being back in the mountains again. :)

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Glad to know it is now fixed.

According to this thread it was reported to Google at least 6 times before they fixed it.

https:/…83612744

17. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2018, 14:18
;