We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Hi. I have been under the impression for the past few months of my planning & research for our upcoming summer trip to Banff & Jasper, that the driving time between Banff and Jasper was 3 1/2 hours. I just happened to check on Google Maps and it says it is more like 6 hours? Same with driving time from Jasper to Lake Louise. I completely understand that these are mountain roads and there will be lots of animal life and places to stop and "ooo and ahhh," but 6 hours is almost twice what I was expecting so I'm now thinking we will either forgo Jasper and just go up as far as the glacier walk, or...take a Brewster tour so someone else gets to drive that long distance? If someone could please clarify the travel time, I'd really appreciate it. I looked on a few past posts and all I could find was 3 1/2 hours so that's probably where I got the idea in the first place. Was this "fake news?" : )

16 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Wow I wish I knew this a couple of months ago when planning our summer trip. Ended up cancelling going to Jasper due to the time Google said it takes to get there. :(

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Google maps only started displaying the wrong information about two weeks ago!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

I just checked Google Maps and it is now displaying the correct driving time between Banff and Jasper, of approximately 3 hours and 43 minutes.

Glad this has been fixed as it was confusing me as well when planning my trip! I was also considering cutting out Jasper due to the driving time of 7 or 8 hours, without stops, that it was showing.

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Yes! Glad they fixed that! Have a great trip!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Thanks Sarah! I am so looking forward to being back in the mountains again. :)

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?

Glad to know it is now fixed.

According to this thread it was reported to Google at least 6 times before they fixed it.

https:/…83612744

Reply to: Confusion over driving time between Banff & Jasper?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted