We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Banff

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in Banff

My husband and I are looking at hiring a wicked camper van and spending a week going through Banff and Jasper. Looking for suggestions on RV parks/campgrounds to stay at throughout the trip.

And any other suggestions for what to do throughout the area!

9 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Banff

Check the Top Questions on the right-hand side of this page (not viewable on mobile). Also do the same on the Canadian Rockies forum.

The Parks Canada site will give you info on campgrounds, including how to reserve your campsite. Note if this trip is planned for this summer, many sites have been booked in advance for months. You are late to the party this year.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Banff

Thanks phpr. We're going to be there mid to late September.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,314 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Banff

>>mid to late September.

In a normal tourist season, things are still somewhat busy then, but starting to slow down. In a normal tourist season, right now things would still be pretty quiet ... but that is not the case. I would not count on things slowing down in mid September this year, with the Canada 150 celebrations and free admission to the national parks.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
847 posts
573 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Banff

Just an FYI, Banff campgrounds (serviced and non-serviced), were rather busy midweek last week.

Calgary
Level Contributor
90 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Banff

Hannah - As others have mentioned, check out the Parks Canada Website and book your sites as soon as you can. As you will be traveling later in the season, be aware that some of the campgrounds will still be open but the advance reservation system is not available. There are also some unserviced campgrounds that are first-come-first served. See this link for more details:

https:/…camping

A few comments:

Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff is just outside of the main part of town and has bus service. There are three different areas to camp.

Two Jack is a beautiful campground on a lake close to Banff.

Johnston Canyon is nice. Also very close to a good hike.

Lake Louise is in an excellent location within the Park, but is also right beside very busy, noisy train tracks. You can't beat the location, but you will need ear plugs to get a good night's sleep.

I am not as familiar with Jasper so another TA will have to chime in to help you there.

Enjoy your trip.

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Banff

Thanks all, appreciate the advice

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Banff

Hi Hannah

I noticed that Wicked campers don't have really good reviews. In case you rent from Vancouver you may want to try these one of these companies: Rent a Camper Canada: www.rentacampercanada.com , based in Vancouver, they are also low cost with converted minivans or consider http://www.canadiancampervans.com for a not too expensive more reliable alternative, or maybe Fraserway etc.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in Banff

Mark_Do181727 - please read the previous posts and note their dates before responding. Hannah D planned to travel in September, and as such her trip is probably finished.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,342 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping in Banff

I would be curious to know how it went with Wicked. I have also heard very negative reviews with respect to their customer service. I get the sense that provided nothing goes wrong, Wicked is, well if not exactly good, at least meets the low expectations set for them. However, if you have problems with the vehicle while on the road, it sounds like you are on your own and have to sort things out yourself. If I was renting from Wicked, I would have a long conversation about reimbursement for expenses that you will certainly have to pay yourself and make sure you get it all in writing.

Reply to: Camping in Banff
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted