We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended stop over vancouver to jasper & Banff to vancouv

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended stop over vancouver to jasper & Banff to vancouv

Arrive Vancouver 11/9 car hired from 11 - 22/9, 3 days booked Jasper 12-15th and 3 days booked banff 16 - 19th September. Need to return car to Vancouver and depart from Seattle 22/9.

Considering ferry from Victoria to Seattle on the 21/9 so would need to be in vancouver by the 20th

Wondering if anyone can help with route both ways and also recommendations for itinerary. Have read so much my head is spinning. Two couples travelling together and interested in everything from wildlife to magnificent scenery, moderate hikes only.

Many thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,378 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended stop over vancouver to jasper & Banff to vancouv

G'day reyn, and welcome to the TA forums where all the good stuff is to be found.

A few things I am unclear about though. Are you arriving from Oz on 11/9, picking up a car and leaving for the Rockies the same day? If you are returning the car to Vancouver 22/9, yet depart from Seattle also on 22/9, so WT? is the Victoria to Seattle bit all about on 21/9? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Anyhow, as to your question, have a read of the options provided in this article:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154922-c1…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,360 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended stop over vancouver to jasper & Banff to vancouv

Above link maps it out.

I hate those number dates. I never have any clue what they mean.

Trip takes place in September

Mon 11 Arrive Vancouver, rent car right away

Tues 12 Arrive in Jasper

Wed 13 Jasper

Thurs 14 Jasper

Fri 15 Drive Icefields Parkway to Banff

Sat 16 Banff

Sun 17 Banff

Mon 18 Banff

Tues 19 Drive towards Vancouver

Wed 20 Finish drive to Vancouver

Thurs 21 Travel to Seattle

Fri 22 depart Seattle

Wow. That's an intense plan, although you have a nice balance of time in the Rockies. Honestly, on that pace, I'd just fly to Calgary return from Vancouver. You don't have any time to see much of BC anyway, so its just a bucked load of driving. Book a connecting flight to Calgary on your arrival in Vancouver, see Banff and Jasper, then fly back to Vancouver and spend a day in Vancouver and a day in Seattle.

However, sticking with your plan, you have time for one night in Kamloops on your way to Jasper if you are driving out right from the airport on arrival, and one night in Revelstoke or Salmon Arm on your way back to Vancouver. You do NOT have time for Victoria unless you make arrangements to return the car in Victoria. Then you could drive right through Victoria from Salmon Arm and give yourself a night there before taking on the journey to Seattle.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,324 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended stop over vancouver to jasper & Banff to vancouv

Vancouver to Jasper is 8 hours of non-stop driving. Coming in right off a flight from Australia and starting your drive the same day, I'm thinking it's a good thing you will have four drivers - you can take turns with whoever is freshest. I haven't yet crossed the "divide" (driving on the other side of the road) so I do find the idea a bit daunting, but would especially find it so, arriving on a loooong, long-haul flight and then having to navigate through city traffic for a long way. (Leaving Vancouver, actually Richmond is where the airport is, you are in built up areas for quite a long time.) One advantage of flying to Calgary (and I agree with V67, it would be a good choice to minimize the driving time and give you more time for "doing") is that you can get out of the city without having to drive through the city.

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended stop over vancouver to jasper & Banff to vancouv

Actually we arrive from Alaskan cruise. This will be the last fortnight of a 6 week journey through Canada & Alaska. Unfortunately our flights home from Seattle and the car is booked to be returned to Vancouver thought the quickest way to Seattle was by the ferry from Victoria (also gets us a little time in Victoria)

Thank you I was thinking we were trying to cram too much in. Will see if we can drop the car to Calgary and fly to seattle. Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,405 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended stop over vancouver to jasper & Banff to vancouv

You could do this which would break up the long drives. Will not disrupt your bookings.

11 Sept. Arrive on cruise ship at 7 am or so. Well rested. Priority disembarkation from ship. Plan on 9 am or so. Pick up rental car and drive to Clearwater, 5hours. Time for stops on the way.

11 Sept. 1 night Clearwater

12, 13, 14, 15 Sept. 4 nights in Jasper. 3 hours. Rearguard Falls, Overlander Falls, Mt Robson Visitor Centre.

Explore the Icefields Parkway slowly, thoughtfully, in awe to Banff. All day, up to 8-9 hours (Watch sunset time. Watch animals on the road at dusk.) Take a picnic lunch to avoid the coach tour pax lineups at the cafeteria at Saskatchewan River Crossing. Eat in the great outdoors.

16, 17, 18 Sept. 4 nights Banff.

19 Sept. Kelowna. 5.5 hours. Lots to see on the way.

20 Sept. Vancouver. 4 hours. Downtown hotel.

21 Sept. Take the morning Amtrak Cascades train from Vancouver to Seattle, 4 hours or so. All in daylight. 1 hour advance check in to go through US Customs and Immi procedures before boarding the train. Arrive at King St Station. a) stay the night in downtown Seattle or b) take the LINK train to an airport hotel, takes 1 hour or so.

22 Sept. a) cab or LINK train to the airport b) shuttle to check in.

Edited: 06 June 2017, 15:14
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,360 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended stop over vancouver to jasper & Banff to vancouv

Vancouver directly down the coast to Seattle is about 3 hrs + any border crossing delays. Vancouver to Victoria is about 3.5 hrs which includes the ferry crossing delays. I've never been south from Victoria, but you have a fairly long ferry crossing and then a 2-3 hr drive. I've seen people go that way in a single day, but it's a long day.

Doing Vancouver to Calgary one way and then flying to Seattle from there will be much easier.

Reply to: Recommended stop over vancouver to jasper & Banff to vancouv
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted