We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunshine Mountain Lodge & Access to Meadows?

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sunshine Mountain Lodge & Access to Meadows?

HI. We need a hotel for 1 night in Banff area. Already staying 3 nights at Banff Springs but all hotels, except Sunshine Mountain Lodge are booked for the night we need. I would normally not consider staying here because it is so far away from town however we are interested in exploring sunshine meadows, taking the gondola, etc, and that seems a bit complicated with reserving shuttle buses and ride to and from the town of Banff so is this maybe worth considering because of the easy access to Hiking? Would we still need to reserve the shuttle and/or the gondola/chairlift? I'm unclear as to where exactly the hotel is in relation to trails and gondola? We are not big hikers...more like strollers who love gorgeous views and the gondola and/or chairlift sounds delightful to us! I'm also wondering how the sunshine meadows experience compares to Banff gondola and super mountain? Not sure we are going to be able to fit both in so if we have to choose one, what is your recommendation? Thanks SO much for your help! Coming end of July. Can't wait!

4 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunshine Mountain Lodge & Access to Meadows?

Super mountain? That's a new name to me.

Sunshine is a ski resort in winter, and the lodge has a unique setting just below treeline. A short walk uphill takes you to vast alpine meadows and some pretty impressive views, much more open than (and quite different from) what you'd see from the Banff gondola.

I'd go for it, and would consider spending two nights to maximize your hiking time. Once you've paid for the view with the effort of that (relatively short) hike, you'll want the time to ramble.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,098 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunshine Mountain Lodge & Access to Meadows?

You can get a very general idea from their webcams:

http://www.skibanff.com/conditions/cams/

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,374 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunshine Mountain Lodge & Access to Meadows?

If you're staying only one night, and if you are interested in visiting Sunshine Meadows, then I'd say go for it. The lodge is right at the spot where the bus or gondola would drop you off anyway. When you book with them, I am sure they will give you information on how to get on the gondola. If you have a rental car, you will just drive to the parking lot, and then get on the gondola or bus for the ride uphill to the lodge. Late July would be prime time for flowers. You can do the valley-bottom stuff while you're staying at the Banff Springs - this will be a totally different experience. Be sure to go outside around 11 and look at the stars.

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunshine Mountain Lodge & Access to Meadows?

Thank you both for your input! It really helps!

Reply to: Sunshine Mountain Lodge & Access to Meadows?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted