We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to buy second hand sporting books

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
Places to buy second hand sporting books

I am going to be in Edmonton and Calgary in the first week of April and I love browsing second hand shops. I especially like books and magazines on sport (hockey, basketball, baseball, CFL and NFL in particular) and would be grateful if people could recommend places that would be worthy of visiting while I am in Alberta.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
6 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to buy second hand sporting books

Hi.

The Whyte Ave. area (82 Ave.) used to be a hotspot for used book shops, but those are a dying breed. I think the Wee Book Inn is still around, a small local chain, including their store right beside the old Strathcona Hotel, 82 Ave. & 103 Street (Whyte & Gateway). Two stories of used books, and usually a cat.

I hope they're still there. (I'm not helping; nowadays if it's not EPUB, I don't read it.)

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to buy second hand sporting books

There are several used book stores in Calgary. I haven’t been to any of them but I know one by the name of Fair’s Fair is one of the largest with 2 or 3 locations. I think it’s best to Google the various stores and read the reviews from there.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to buy second hand sporting books

Wee Book Inn on Whyte is still around; I just walked by. They looked busy. :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to buy second hand sporting books

Thanks for the suggestions.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to buy second hand sporting books

I would try Alhambra books just off Whyte avenue and check out the vendors at Rocky Mountain Antique Mall on Gateway Boulevard. A couple of vendors have some unique sports materials.

Mentioned in this post
Whyte Avenue
Whyte Avenue
1,114 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
521 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to buy second hand sporting books

Second for Wee Book Inn and Alhambra. Both are great. Be sure to give the resident cat a pet at the Wee Book Inn :-)

If you are near any thrift stores like Goodwill or Value Village they too carry books; VV is more expensive for their books than Goodwill.

Reply to: Places to buy second hand sporting books
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted