We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edmonton to Fort St. John

Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
65 reviews
Edmonton to Fort St. John

Our flight arrives in Edmonton on a Saturday morning in August at 10:00 am following a 9 hour journey from the east coast. Google Maps suggests it is a 7+ hour drive to Fort St. John and that is not something we want to do after our flights. Our choices are to stay in Edmonton or drive to a town within a couple hour drive from the airport. Is there a suggested town to stop for the night where we could pass the afternoon? After Fort St. John, we spend the next 10 nights between Jasper, Banff, and Calgary. This is not yet finalized and there might be another stop added.

5 replies to this topic
calgary
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Edmonton to Fort St. John

Sorry can't answer your question but just want to advice that if you haven't finalized the Jasper/Banff part of your trip you might be out of luck. Accommodation is getting very hard to find especially in Jasper.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Edmonton to Fort St. John

Whitecourt is probably a decent bet. It's a ordinary little town - no fancy tourism or great beauty. But nothing wrong with it, It is situated on the Athabasca river, and has a selection of mid-budget hotels.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
152 reviews
3. Re: Edmonton to Fort St. John

With the highway twinned to at least Grande Prairie I would suggest looking at reaching further out than Whitecourt, say Fox Creek, Valleyview or Grande Prairie. Landing at 10am you should be on the road by noon, which should allow enough time to get your bags, rental car and have a quick lunch. Your time change will have you hungry for lunch by 10am local time. From the airport to Grande Prairie is approx. a 5 hour drive which allows refreshment breaks. Fox Creek and Valleyview have newer decent hotels and Grande Prairie has everything you would need, including good restaurants. Then your remaining trip to Fort St.John the next morning would be relatively short and you can enjoy more of a full day there.

But I respect the concept that you had to wake up early to get your flight and your energy level may be down when you take off from the airport. The highway can be very boring so it would be wise not to push your limits. Make sure you take Anthony Henday Drive around Edmonton to the Yellowhead Highway and the north bypass around Grande Prairie. Those will save you time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,222 posts
807 reviews
4. Re: Edmonton to Fort St. John

I’d check to see if there any interesting festivals in and around Edmonton that weekend that you are arriving....

Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Edmonton to Fort St. John

Thanks for the suggestions thus far

- we have accommodations booked in Fort St. John and Jasper

- I like the idea of getting a little further along on day 1 than we initially planned, I will research the towns and see how we feel when upon landing

- we arrive on August 4 and there does not seem to be any festivals in Edmonton

We are still looking at accommodations in Banff or Canmore. Our flight home leaves from Calgary on August 17 and there are a few days left to fill in yet.

Reply to: Edmonton to Fort St. John
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Edmonton