We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

University Hospital-Matrix Hotel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
Save Topic
University Hospital-Matrix Hotel

is the Matrix Hotel walkable to the University of Edmonton Hospital...and are there some good restaurants close to the Matrix Hotel...thanks

Mentioned in this post
University of Alberta
University of Alberta
127 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: University Hospital-Matrix Hotel

The University Hospital is at the University of Alberta. It is definitely not within walking distance from the Matrix. The Matrix is in downtown Edmonton, and the University Hospital is on the other side of a very large river valley, and quite a lot further west.

I'm not exactly too sure of the layout of the LRT (light rail transit) stations, but I'm sure there are one or two close to the Matrix, and there is a University station as well. I would look it up further for you, but I'm off on a trip myself tomorrow, so a little pressed for time! Perhaps somebody more familiar with our public transit will be able to help.

You may want to consider a hotel on Whyte Ave. These would be about a 20-30 minute walk to the University area. Two hotels in this area are the Varscona and the Mettera.

Mentioned in this post
University of Alberta
University of Alberta
127 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
2. Re: University Hospital-Matrix Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 14:50
Edited: 09 May 2010, 14:50
Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: University Hospital-Matrix Hotel

I have walked from downtown to the University, so you could walk, but it's not convenient, and is a long walk. Plus, Edmonton weather is unpredictable. The LRT station is about 2 blocks from the Matrix, and stops directly across the street from the University Hospital. If you decide to stay at the Matrix, it has a very good restaurant, and there are several options nearby.

mcwhippet is right, the other two hotels, on Whyte Avenue, are about a mile from the University Hospital. There also are numerous restaurants on Whyte Avenue.

The Campus Tower Suite Hotel, a former apartment block, is around the corner (and across the street) from the University Hospital. There are a few restaurants, Sugar Bowl, dacapo, a couple of Japanese restaurants, and a Vietnamese restaurant a few blocks away, and an Earl's just downstairs, in the next building.

unlimitedreservationservices.com/urs/hotels/…

Edited: 09 May 2010, 14:53
Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Whyte Avenue
Whyte Avenue
1,101 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: University Hospital-Matrix Hotel

If you are taking the LRT to the University Hospital, don't make the mistake of getting off at the University station. The Health Sciences station is the closest one to the hospital, right across the street as noted above.

5. Re: University Hospital-Matrix Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Edmonton