We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

edmonton for 6 hours

horsham
7 posts
Save Topic
edmonton for 6 hours

We have a six hour wait between flights in Edmonton before going on to las vegas. How far away is the city from the airport and is there anything of interest you could suggest to kill a couple hours before our flight.

many thanks

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: edmonton for 6 hours

I remember this question being asked in mid 2009 by someone else. I did a search in the Edmonton forum, i.e. "layover" + "long", and got the following discussion thread that may be of use to you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154914-i306-k2810…

Also, if you check my opinion in that thread, you may find that given the time frame of the layover, it would be best sticking it out in the airport considering the distance of Edmonton to the airport, approximately 30 minutes one way.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 23:06
Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: edmonton for 6 hours

The Edmonton airport is in the middle of nowhere, 6 hours may seem like a long time, but it is not really long enough to make it worthwhile to go and see anything in Edmonton at least. You would pretty much have to rent a car and even then I don't think there is really anything to see in Edmonton other than the mall in that time frame.

alberta
Level Contributor
448 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: edmonton for 6 hours

Airport living for six hours is a real drag. A reasonable break would be to take a cab into Leduc for some limited shopping and a meal.

Mentioned in this post
Leduc
Leduc
Alberta, Canada
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: edmonton for 6 hours

bassbib; one more question I have to ask. What airline(s) are you flying? If it is one that has access privileges to one of the private airline lounges in the gate concourse area, then you might be in luck.

Even if you are not travelling on higher class ticket, most airlines will let you pay for the privilege to use their lounges. It can be substantially cheaper than the cost of two taxi fares to / from Leduc, and definitely cheaper than renting a car.

Even WestJet allows its patrons access to a few different lounges in airports to which they fly, but for a fee. You just need to show your WestJet boarding pass, and pay a lounge fee.

Most airline lounges are willing to let patrons of their competition in ... you just have to know how to work the system. And, believe me when I say the airline lounges, with their more comfy chairs, are a nicer place to wait, then in the open concourse gate seating / waiting area.

Edited: 15 May 2010, 00:17
Mentioned in this post
Leduc
Leduc
Alberta, Canada
horsham
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: edmonton for 6 hours

thanks for your responses. I'm very grateful. We are travelling business with Air Canada so hopefully they will have a lounge that we can use whilst waiting for the connection. Will also check out Leduc on the web to see what thats about.

Many thanks

Bassbib

Mentioned in this post
Leduc
Leduc
Alberta, Canada
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: edmonton for 6 hours

de nada.

IMHO, I'd spend the time in the Air Canada lounge relaxing and getting caught on some reading. Maybe enjoy the TV or the bar. If you have to pay for the lounge, it's worth it.

7. Re: edmonton for 6 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2010, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Edmonton