We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eloping In Edmonton

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Eloping In Edmonton

So my fiance and I are planning on eloping. Well not so much as eloping, but having a small, intimate ceremony followed by a big reception/party.

So what venues are cheap? What about marriage commissioners? We're thinking of having a backyard wedding (with probably less than 20 people) and then having maybe 100-150 people for a party.

I have no clue how to go about planning an elopement (ok so planning an elopement is kinda oxymoronic but hopefully you understand what I mean lol)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eloping In Edmonton

Hi Maggie-bride-to-be,

Welcome to the EDMONTON TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see you are new TA Member as well... so a BIG Welcome Aboard.

First off TA is ONLY for Questions about Travel... this clearly isn't a Travel Related Question so as per the Guidelines for Posting in the FORUMS it could be CLOSED / REMOVED / DELETED (thought you might want to know in case it suddenly dissapears).

In the meantime... let me help you out... with some of my own Mother-of-the-Bride experience...

What you are planning is not an elopement it is a small intimate wedding... an Elopement is when one gets married "away" from Friends & Family (and YES people have to plan those too).

For all your Marriage Questions... I suggest this great ALL-Canadian Website for Wedding Bells Magazine = www.weddingbells.ca

They have FORUMS that can answer every possible Question you can throw in their direction... 1000s of Brides log in every day right across the country... and lots of Great Money Saving TIPS etc.

What you can effectively use TripAdvisor though is planning your Honeymoon... so we look forward to your future posts on that topic.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,729 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eloping In Edmonton

I agree with Wine-4-2, your wedding plans are firmly in the traditional category known as "living within your means", which is a lovely way to begin your married life together.

And for all your etiquette questions, here's another good forum for you:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/

You will find a list of Edmonton-based marriage commissioners here:

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1156.cfm

And best wishes on your forthcoming marriage!

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eloping In Edmonton

I completely concur with Wine-4-2 regarding this not being travel related.

So ... I suggest you start checking the websites provided by her and CountryWife before TripAdvisor "yanks" your forum post and the entire discussion thread.

I'm not reporting it, but I'm certain that TA might just eliminate it sometime soon all on their own.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eloping In Edmonton

If you want to have your party bash in some community hall the cheapest one I could fine that was decent was Lorilei beaumaris Community Hall and it can hold more than 150 people. (It worked really well for my wedding :)

http://www.lorelei-beaumaris.com/