We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked the weekend off, looking for a camping/swimming spot!

Tiauna91
1 post
Save Topic
Booked the weekend off, looking for a camping/swimming spot!

Don't ever get weekends off and want to go camping for once this summner with my bf and our dog. Looking for a nice campspot with trees, nice lake to swim in, and also fishing, canoeing, and hiking. Is this too much to ask for in Alberta? (we're both from BC so may have higher standards lol) Also preferably West of Edmonton, as we live in Spruce Grove

Thank you :D

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Spruce Grove
Spruce Grove
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,743 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked the weekend off, looking for a camping/swimming spot!

Jasper National Park has everything you are looking for, although it is too early yet for lake swimming. There are several spring-fed (as opposed to glacier-fed) lakes in the Jasper area that have beaches (Lake Edith, Annette, Pyramid Lake) but it is usually the end of July before they are warm enough for swimming. We haven't really had any hot weather yet in Jasper - lately many days have been into the low 20s, but nights are cool - it was 7 last night and the predicted low tonight is only 1C - !! (Average for this time of year is 21/7 - see weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/…ab-70_metric_e.html .)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,657 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked the weekend off, looking for a camping/swimming spot!

But if you're going to Jasper (or Banff) on a long weekend like this one, make sure you have your campsite reserved; on the summer long weekends, every single room and campsite will be full.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked the weekend off, looking for a camping/swimming spot!

Jasper is my favourite camping spot in the whole world. I wasn't sure of the swimming situation so didn't recommend it right off. What about fishing, krp?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,743 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked the weekend off, looking for a camping/swimming spot!

I don't fish, but I can tell you that you need to get a national parks fishing license, and all the information you need is on Parks Canada's website, here: pc.gc.ca/eng/…visit14a.aspx

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked the weekend off, looking for a camping/swimming spot!

I love Jasper for camping too but if you don't have time to drive 4 hrs each way from Spruce Grove, then I might suggest one of the smaller lakes to the south of Edmonton-----since they will be warmer too----maybe Sylvan, Gull etc. towards Red Deer.

You can choose facilities and activities like fishing and boat rentals on this site:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/searchparks.aspx

Hope that's helpful and Happy Camping!

Mentioned in this post
Spruce Grove
Spruce Grove
Alberta, Canada
Red Deer
Red Deer
Alberta, Canada
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked the weekend off, looking for a camping/swimming spot!

I was going to recommend Jasper, but I also know it won't be warm enough yet for lake swimming. Then, I also know of Sylvan Lake south of Edmonton outside of Red Deer. It's supposed to be pretty good.

Mentioned in this post
Sylvan Lake
Sylvan Lake
Alberta, Canada
Red Deer
Red Deer
Alberta, Canada
7. Re: Booked the weekend off, looking for a camping/swimming spot!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Edmonton