We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
64 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

My family (husband and two daughters ages 7 and 10) will have an 8 hour layover in Edmonton on our way to Europe... not exactly thrilled about a long layover, but we are thinking it might be a great opportunity to see Edmonton. We arrive at 10:30 am on a Saturday at the end of May and depart at 7pm. Is there a train into the city from the airport? Things we must see?

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton River Valley 60-Minute...
4 Reviews
from US$46.38*
Free Cancellation
Calgary Bow River Valley 60-Minute...
2 Reviews
from US$46.38*
Free Cancellation
Edmonton River Valley 90-Minute...
4 Reviews
from US$65.71*
Free Cancellation
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,996 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

Will it be Saturday, May 21 or Saturday, May 28? I ask becase the weekend of May 21-23 is the Victoria Day long weekend, and that may affect your options.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
64 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

May 28th. Sounds like that's a good thing?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,312 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

Unfortunately, the Edmonton airport is outside the city, about 1/2 hour drive south of the city (and probably about 45 minutes from West Edmonton Mall). The nearest towns are Nisku and Leduc, but I am not aware of anything to see in either of those. There are no "cheap" ways of getting four people into the city and back again. The shuttle bus will cost $64 (return) for the four of you: edmontonplus.ca/edmonton/venues/sky-shuttle-…

You could take it to West Edmonton Mall, in the city's west end, or the Varsona Hotel stop on the south side (listed under the university route) would put you in Old Strathcona, an area with shops, cafés etc.

Edited: 07 March 2011, 00:52
Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
West Edmonton Mall
West Edmonton Mall
3,786 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Leduc
Leduc
Alberta, Canada
Old Strathcona
Old Strathcona
241 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

This kind of question, i.e. about long lay-overs, gets asked a lot in this forum.

So, here is a link to the most recent question / ensuing discussion thread, with lots of tips, suggestions and links to previous discussions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154914-i306-k3614…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

if it's a nice day, you could take a shuttle to downtown edmonton. waunder around the parliament grounds, go for a walk in the river valley, have lunch downtown or then take a bus across the river to old strathcona (whyte avenue) and waunder around there. but, even with all that, i'd say you'd be done in 4 hours.

if money is not a problem, i'd get a shuttle to west edmonton mall and assuming your family likes water, go to the waterpark for the layover. it would be expensive but a fun place. or for a cheaper alternative, take the shuttle to the mall and just waunder around for a few hours - there is an amusement park there.

also look at fort edmonton park.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

FYI - for regulars to the Edmonton Forum always helping those asking this:

Given the number of times this question gets asked, I have added another link on this subject to the list in the Top Ten Questions "What is there to do in and around Edmonton?" I decided to reference this most current discussion thread, as the link I previously provided will direct those asking to the past suggestions and advice provided.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,996 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

Good idea, CTW!

8. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 March 2011, 15:11
Edited: 09 March 2011, 15:11
Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

There is now public transportation (Edmonton Transit System) from YEG into Edmonton. It only operates at peak hours currently, but if it proves popular, that will change. Here is a schedule -

…edmonton.ca/external/…

That route will at least get you back to the airport. The bus can be taken from the Century Place LRT station.

If the bus is not running at 10:30, you can take a cab into the city, which should cost around $50-$55. Weather is very unpredictable at that time of year. If it is warm, I'd probably take a cab to Whyte Avenue and walk around, have a nice lunch, then take the LRT/bus back to the airport.

Edited: 09 March 2011, 15:18
Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Whyte Avenue
Whyte Avenue
1,134 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 hour layover in Edmonton-what to do?

There is the WEM, which gives you an amusement park, water park, mini golf, laser tag & arcade, theatre, dining and shopping options. http://www.wem.ca/

You could also head to Telus World of Science: edmontonscience.com/pages/home/default.aspx

Fort Edmonton Park: http://www.fortedmontonpark.ca/

Mentioned in this post
TELUS World of Science - Edmonton
TELUS World of Science...
802 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Fort Edmonton Park
Fort Edmonton Park
1,623 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada