We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train station

Hamilton, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
train station

hi everyone

i will have a little bit of a wait at the via rail station in a few weeks and just wondering if there are any restaurants near by?

Thanks in advance

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train station

Unfortunately, they moved our train station out of the downtown a few years ago, and now it's really in the middle of nowhere.

The nearest restaurants would likely be along Kingsway Ave. to the south (eg, in the hotel at the old airport terminal), or northwest and under the tracks up 127th Street. Either would be doable as a longer walk.

Hamilton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train station

thanks for the info..i guess after a nice long train trip a good walk will be good!!!

Thanks again!

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train station

Well, you certainly will be in for a walk, as the Kingsway mall, is a good 1 to 2 km walk from the station. I hope you wait at the VIA station isn't that long.

Hamilton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train station

oh no.....thats quite a distance, maybe best to take a Taxi for somewhere for Breakfast

any suggestions for a nice breakfast Restaurant in this area?

Thanks for the comments

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train station

it still amazes me that they put that train station in the middle of now where - great way to welcome tourists - sorry, i'll stop venting now.

if you took a taxi to kingsway garden mall there is a smitty's restaurant there that i bet opens really early or the mall probably opens at 10:00. downtown would be about another 20 minutes further.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train station

To their defence, I don't know that they had much choice. The station used to be in downtown Edmonton, under the CN building (from the days when CN ran the passenger trains, before 1978), but those tracks were not used for any other purpose (freight does not move through downtown), and so they were ripped up and the station had to be moved elsewhere, near the existing mainline tracks and where there was land available to build the new station. The spot they chose was the northwest corner of the land that the Edmonton Muni Airport occupies. The swath of land that used to be CN tracks and right-of-way has been redeveloped, including the new Grant McEwan College campus, and lots of condominium units.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train station

Ah, I see now that you're *arriving* on the train.

A cautionary note - I took VIA once from Toronto to Edmonton, and by the time we reached Edmonton we were about 5 hours late. There was no single big delay; we just got gradually farther and farther behind schedule as the provinces rolled by.

In other words, you might not have any time to kill at all, depending on how well VIA keeps to schedule that day.

(Canadian train travel is everything that European train travel isn't.)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train station

There are restaurants closer than Kingsway Garden Mall, if you choose to walk.

If you head south from the station about 1km (with the airport on your left), you'll see a tall hotel; the only high building in the area. That hotel will have a restaurant, and I know there are a couple of other restaurants close by as well. Just aim for the tall hotel and they'll all appear.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train station

That area's a bit of a wasteland,. The impound lot is in that area, lots of warehouses, not too many restaurants. I did find one restaurant, The Pantry, and I would cab it there. I'd probably ask if cabs are waiting there, or have one called about 15 minutes before you get off the train.

http://www.edmontondining.com/thepantry

I've never eaten there, but it seems to have fairly basic fare, good reviews, and I know that hotel is popular.

Edited: 23 March 2011, 15:24
Hamilton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: train station

thanks everyone for the great comments and suggestions.

really appreciate them all

great advice, great suggestions!!!!!

Looking forward to my short stay in Edmonton, Hopefully my train wont be 5 hrs late! I could handle a little late but not 5 hrs, that will cut into my visit with my Kids!

From One Canadian way on the other side East

Thanks western Canadians!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Edmonton