We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid cell phones

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Prepaid cell phones

Can someone suggest an excellent prepaid cell phone company and cell phone that has the following for Alberta:

> Internet

> Call anytime

> Takes excellent pics

> Caller ID

I just need a cell phone for emergencies.

Thank-you.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,522 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid cell phones

The two main carriers are Telus Mobility and Rogers. They have details about their phones and prepaid plans on their websites:

telusmobility.com/en/AB/prepaid/rates.shtml…

www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal…

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid cell phones

Bell is also a main carrier in Northern Alberta.

I think if you want internet, prepaid plans are fairly pricy. I don't think most prepaid plans have caller ID, so you should check into that. You can call anytime on prepaid plans, because you are charged by the minute for calls.

I don't know about Rogers or Bell, but I do know that with Telus' prepaid plans, you need to top your minutes up before they expire, or you will lose them. If you top them up, they carry forward. When I had a prepaid plan, I found the best option was a $25 top up.

Another issue is reception. If you are in the city, it doesn't matter, but if you travel around the province, I'd avoid Rogers, their reception is not as good as the other two.

I'd suggest you post this question on redflagdeals.com. You'll get a lot more answers there.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,235 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid cell phones

>> I don't think most prepaid plans have caller ID,

All prepaid plans come with caller ID

>> Takes excellent pics

This is a travel forum, not mobile phone forum. There are hundreds of phone models out there, it's impossiblel to suggest a phone suitable for your unknown requirements, budget, network.

>> Internet

All prepaid plans from Rogers/Telus, and those from Petro Canada, 7-11 support various levels of internet service. We have no idea what your internet use pattern is(how much data you'll use, what phone you have, what purpose for internet access), we can't help you. Not to mention this is not a mobile phone forum

I suggest you visit www.howardforums.com for excellent mobile phone advice.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid cell phones

>All prepaid plans come with caller ID

Nope. My husband has a prepaid plan. It has ID for those numbers he programs, but not otherwise.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid cell phones

I have a Telus prepaid phone - it will display the calling numbers, but not the names.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid cell phones

Another option for a Prepaid cellphone is Virgin phones, which can easily be purchased at any local Walmart here or even in any "Real Canadian Superstore". You will have to choose a phone that will likely be more pricey for the internet access use.

NOTE: Virgin provides rather good service but only really in the major centres of Alberta like Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge and Fort McMurrray. You might get decent service in Canmore, Banff and Jasper.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Lethbridge
Lethbridge
Alberta, Canada
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
7. Re: Prepaid cell phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 05:18