We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel near via rail

canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
hotel near via rail

Are there any hotels near the Via Rail station? We will fly into Edmonton and only have 1 full day (2 nights) before catching the early a.m. train. We would like to explore the West Edmonton mall. Are we looking at 3 varied directions (airport, mall and via rail)?

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
West Edmonton Mall
West Edmonton Mall
3,782 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton River Valley 60-Minute...
4 Reviews
from US$46.64*
Free Cancellation
Calgary Bow River Valley 60-Minute...
2 Reviews
from US$46.64*
Free Cancellation
Southeast Edmonton Roots and...
6 Reviews
from US$20.41*
Free Cancellation
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,293 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel near via rail

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154914-i306-k50930…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel near via rail

The airport you will most likely arrive at is closer to Leduc than Edmonton, very far south of the city. The train depot is just north of Downtown, while the mall is (surprise) far in West Edmonton. The post which was previously mentioned gives some good information about the hotels which are available close to Via. There is an airport downtown (although it is in the process of being closed down) which would be close to the Via Rail station. I know that when I look for flights on Expedia, it is still sometimes listed as an option, but very few flights arrive/depart from it.

Mentioned in this post
Leduc
Leduc
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel near via rail

Thanks for the info.

It seems that it would be more cost efficient to get a hotel near the via station for a short a.m. taxi ride. We can take transit to the west Edmonton mall or downtown on our full day. I am assuming transit is in the area of the train station - is that correct?

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,293 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel near via rail

You can find out schedules, routes, fares etc. for Edmonton Transit here:

edmonton.ca/transportation/edmonton-transit-…

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel near via rail

Transit service near the Via station is OK for getting downtown, but is less convenient to West Edmonton Mall. I would suggest that you find a hotel downtown instead, so you can take the very convenient express bus number 100 to West Edmonton Mall. Downtown is still an easy taxi ride to the VIA station (perhaps 5-7 minutes farther away than the hotels closest to the station). There is also more to do in the area immediately around the downtown hotels.

Mentioned in this post
West Edmonton Mall
West Edmonton Mall
3,782 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel near via rail

I second krp's first post and also chucklebelly's (cb's) post #5. Especially cb's recommendation.

canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel near via rail

Thanks - downtown sounds like a good choice. We like to wander and explore cities so we can walk the downtown area. Don't plan to spend all day in a mall although I know we could find lots to do - basically just want to have a look at the set up. Can't shop much as we don't want to carry extra "stuff" on our travels.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,293 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel near via rail

Depending on which area you're in, downtown Edmonton tends to "roll up the sidewalks" after 6 pm when all the office workers have left, leaving mainly the panhandlers on the streets. They are not generally aggressive, but it can be a bit disconcerting to be approached for spare change several times in a block and to see few other people around. If you want nightlife and a busier street scene, I'd suggest the Whyte Avenue area on the southside of the river rather than downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Whyte Avenue
Whyte Avenue
1,132 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel near via rail

I don't think there are any few panhandlers on Whyte Avenue than downtown.

I have never had a problem with panhandlers. I always talk to them, and always say "Sorry, I don't have any money."

Much depends on where you are downtown. Not all of downtown Edmonton is deserted in the evenings, as there are a lot of condos and restaurants downtown.

You will be fine anywhere downtown during daylight hours. There are also lots of areas downtown you'll be fine at night, it just depends on where you decide to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Whyte Avenue
Whyte Avenue
1,132 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
10. Re: hotel near via rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:17