We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday inn downtown or centre?

Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday inn downtown or centre?

Hi

I am lucky enough to have some IHG points which I want to use for our 3 night stay in Vancouver during September.

The downtown hotel appears to be in a better location for nightlife and sights but the centre seems to be the better hotel in a nicer location.

Can anyone offer for any advice with regards tourist attractions and pubs/restaurants?

Many Thanks

GG

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
L'Hermitage Hotel
L'Hermitage Hotel
#1 of 92 hotels in Vancouver
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
#2 of 92 hotels in Vancouver
Loden Hotel
Loden Hotel
#3 of 92 hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

Holiday Inn Center is located on Broadway which is an extremely busy street,it is South of downtown. This means to get into the core of Vancouver you will need public transportation or walk. There are some tourist activities in this area, but most activites are perhaps easily accessible from the HI downtown. The Holiday Inn downtown on Howe Street is a much better location and if memory serves me correctly it has been recently refurbished. You will be less than 10 minutes away from the center of the city, public transit is available to just about anywhere you wish to travel. The link below will show you the distance between the two and their locations in relationship to the central area.

https://goo.gl/maps/Wh68MkmzkTL2

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

Many thanks yvr1, so the downtown hotel is south of the creek and near to Granville island?

Mentioned in this post
Granville Island
Granville Island
16,232 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

No, the downtown HI on Howe is North of False Creek and yes it is close to Granville Island. You could walk it with no problem, Howe St is one way going South, just follow the direction of traffic, walk across the Granville Bridge, you will see some great views of False Creek and English Bay, and then as you approach mid span look to your right and below the bridge you will see the Island. Follow the sidewalk onto Fourth Ave, turn to the left on 4th Ave and walk across Fir St. You will then see a car wash and Carter Motorsports make a left past Carter Motorsports and onto the Island. Here is a map. You can also go from your hotel to Granville St two blocks and take the #50 bus which will take you across the same bridge and stop at the Island entrance.

https://goo.gl/maps/Pe3yxCcvDuj

Mentioned in this post
False Creek
False Creek
908 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Granville Island
Granville Island
16,232 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
English Bay
English Bay
2,491 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

Fantastic thank you for your help

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,027 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

The Holiday Inn Centre probably is the nicer hotel, but by staying there you'd be experiencing Vancouver more as a local would. It's not immediately near any particular tourist attraction, but there are dozens of restaurants and cafes immediately outside on Broadway... Cambie Street is a short hop away, which is a corridor of even more shops and even more restaurants, and Olympic Village, with its restaurants pubs and waterfronts, also a short walk away. A 10-15 minute walk further east is Main Street, which is a local, quirky neighbourhood called Mount Pleasant, home to the best shopping in the city and a lot of craft breweries and pubs. By staying at that hotel, you could hop on the Canada Line (a rapid transit subway) from Broadway/Cambie and in two stops be towntown in Yaletown, which puts you within spitting distance of pubs, bars, shops, etc. Another stop over takes you into the heart of downtown. So you're really not far away from all the action... but my point is that you don't even have to go downtown Vancouver to find nightlife and bars and pubs. A lot of that is actually closer to the Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre!

So it really depends what you want. If you don't mind taking public transit, the Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre can actually be a good place to stay if you want a taste of a part of Vancouver most tourists don't normally see. I haven't obviously stayed there, so I can't comment on the hotel, but I have read the reviews, and most people seem to be quite pleased by the location.

Edited: 15 July 2016, 23:36
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Olympic Village
Olympic Village
72 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Yaletown
Yaletown
597 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,027 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

Also worth noting - both Holiday Inns are probably equally close to Granville Island. I wouldn't let proximity to Granville Island sway your decision. The Holiday Inn Centre is a 10 minute walk to Stamp's Landing on False Creek, which allows you to take the ferry to Granville Island in 8 minutes. Or you can just walk along the False Creek waterfront and be there in 20 minutes. The Holiday Inn Downtown would also require a 10 minute walk down to the False Creek waterfront, and then you'd take a 2 minute water taxi ride across. So we're really talking minimal differences.

Mentioned in this post
Granville Island
Granville Island
16,232 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
False Creek
False Creek
908 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

Many thanks to both of you, one further question, if I didn't stay at holiday inn, which would be the best district for access to pubs & restaurants plus tourism?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

Again it's a toss up downtown Vancouver is quite small and transportation is easy you can be anywhere in under 30 minutes often just walking.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria Capital...
Level Contributor
327 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

I would stay downtown.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
907 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday inn downtown or centre?

For a short stay (you mention 3 nights?) I would recommend downtown, especially if you plan to visit touristic locations such as Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. The free shuttle picks up at 8 locations.

Mentioned in this post
Capilano Suspension Bridge Park
Capilano Suspension...
8,269 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada