We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on stay in Winnipeg - Moving with family for 1 year

Chandigarh, India
1 post
Save Topic
Advice on stay in Winnipeg - Moving with family for 1 year

Hi Friends,

I am moving to Winnipeg for work for one year, along with my wife and 2 year old daughter, in Nov mid-end. Request your advice on how can we pro-actively narrow down best possible stay considering our following preferences:

1) Location near to a good pre-school for my 2 year old daughter.

2) Location near to my workplace: 191 Broadway.

3) It would be great to have both pre-school and my workplace at walking distance from our rented stay. If we have to choose one over other without compromising a good stay location, we would prefer pre-school to be at walking distance, and not more than 30 mins of work-commute from our stay.

4) We have a budget of around $1k per month and would be interested in a fully furnished 1Bed apartment.

5) Any pointers - good websites etc, to pro-actively hunt for apartments?

Many thanks in advance for your time and guidance.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,668 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on stay in Winnipeg - Moving with family for 1 year

TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation as it is not considered to be travel-related.

tripadvisor.ca/help/what_are_the_guidelines_…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,522 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on stay in Winnipeg - Moving with family for 1 year

TripAdvisor is not intended for relocation questions, and visits of more than six months are considered relocation. I mention this in case your post is removed.

I am not sure that preschools are intended for 2 year olds.... but I am not in Manitoba anymore, so can’t say for sure. Where I live, a half-day preschool program is available for three and four year olds. Perhaps it’s a question of semantics and what you mean is “daycare”? I am not “up” on finding daycare, but in many places there are lengthy waiting lists.

In Canada, apartments are not normally rented on a furnished basis, although there are some that are rented like hotels only by the month, for extended stays by visiting workers. These are sometimes called “executive rentals”. I am not sure if $1000 a month will cover something like that though especially for more than one bedroom.

Winnipeg winters are very cold. There are times when it is so cold that exposed skin can become frostbit within a very short time (a few minutes) and with the wind chill factor, it feels even colder. Coming from a warm climate, you would find winter anywhere in Canada very cold but you’ve chosen one of the coldest places in the country!

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada