We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best local restaurants that are family friendly

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Best local restaurants that are family friendly

Looking for recommendations for family friendly restaurants that are local - we're not big fans of chain restaurants.

Bonus: Restaurants with a good local beer selection.

Thanks in advance!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,109 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best local restaurants that are family friendly

Check out the listing service above (green bar)

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best local restaurants that are family friendly

I'm familiar with the list of restaurants Trip Advisor has and have looked at it.

I was hoping people might have more insight or advice. I like to find places that are really good, but may not necessarily be on the Trip Advisor radar or that top the list. Sometimes people have a favourite spot and I'd like to hear why.

I also thought people familiar with the area could suggest good spots with good beer.

Edited: 18 February 2016, 21:29
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best local restaurants that are family friendly

Try Yelp as well. The Yelp Halifax community is awesome. It's a good complement to TA.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best local restaurants that are family friendly

TA's recommendations overall are pretty good. I don't have kids but when I lived in Halifax A Mano was a place I liked to take friends with kids for dinner - great pizza. The Bluenose II is arguably the best value for lobster around. Just about anywhere will do what they can to accommodate a family, though I would say places like Chives (probably my favourite restaurant literally in the entire world, at least what I know of it) and The Press Gang might be a little high brow.

New Brunswick...
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best local restaurants that are family friendly

A Mano and bluenose are great suggestions in downtown Halifax.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best local restaurants that are family friendly

You will pleased to know that most downtown eateries are family friendly. We love our tourists and don't mind kids.

So downtown there are a few places for great seafood.... Waterfront Warehouse & Saltys are quite popular. If you take a walk along the boardwalk, you will find many places to grab a bite.

We do have local beer made by Propellor that is quite popular and you will find its available in many local eateries.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best local restaurants that are family friendly

Thank you all for the recommendations!

I was told about The Press Gang and while it sounds lovely, I'm not sure I want to eat there with toddlers (nor do I want to subject other people eating there to my toddlers).

8. Re: Best local restaurants that are family friendly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2017, 13:17