We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long term parking at Oshawa VIA

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
long term parking at Oshawa VIA

I want to travel Toronto to Montreal using VIA on weekly basis i.e. Mon-Fri. But parking in Toronto is really expensive. I rather choose Oshawa for long term parking.

Does anyone has experience in long term parking at Oshawa? is it safe or can we rent a secure parking close to Oshawa station?

10 replies to this topic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
869 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long term parking at Oshawa VIA

I'm surprised nobody answered this.

You can park at the Oshawa VIA Station. It is also a GO transit station as well. There is a ton of parking, however, leaving your car for a few days may encourage people to break in. Not that it happens all the time, but you can't tell. Parking is free, just try to park close to the station for security.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long term parking at Oshawa VIA

However, GO only allows maximum 48 hours parking. Not sure if it is enforced.

gotransit.com/public/en/stations/parking.aspx

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long term parking at Oshawa VIA

I've done as much as 72 hours with no problem, but that's not a guarantee...

Edited: 19 October 2014, 05:11
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: long term parking at Oshawa VIA

If I read the OP's post correctly (and of course it's now a number of months old), he was looking for parking on a regular, weekly schedule - not just an occasional thing. GO lots are patrolled, and if they see the same car sitting there every week, for more than the 48 hours, they would likely ticket it.

A smarter idea would be to arrange for a reserved spot - relatively inexpensive at $90 a month.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: long term parking at Oshawa VIA

You may want to look into purchasing a dedicated spot at the Oshawa Go Station (VIA runs from here as well). I've seen people towed after three days, but I've also seen cars stay in the same spot for weeks. I think it just depends on if someone notices/complains. But yes - parking in that lot is for 48 hours max. at a time. There are already serious parking issues at Oshawa (lack of spaces), so I'd be worried about testing my luck with a longer time there.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: long term parking at Oshawa VIA

MrsReed ... the original post dates back to 2014 ... 3 years ago ... please take note of dates when responding.

ontario
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: long term parking at Oshawa VIA

I am planning on leaving my car at the Oshawa station on the 23 of this month, how difficult will it be to find a parking spot if I arrive in Oshawa around one o'clock?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,808 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: long term parking at Oshawa VIA

Hi travelmomOntario;

Rather than resurrect a 3 year old post, proper forum netiquette would be to post your question by starting your own topic. Also it is "considerate" to the OP. It means that they will not be receiving emails from TA, telling them to check "their" topic for replies.

Please go back to this forum’s main page where you found this topic and click on the "Ask a question" button. You can then post your own question, and receive replies to it.

Best Regards

ontario
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: long term parking at Oshawa VIA

well thank you so much for the advice

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor