We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not interested in Grand Prix - any suggestions?

Sydney
Level Contributor
392 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Not interested in Grand Prix - any suggestions?

Hello,

We (adult son + mother) will be in Montreal for at least two nights right on Grand Prix time: June 10 and 11. Probably we will also be there for the night of June 12, too. The reason will be here are that time is that I am flying in from London on the 11th; not ideal, I know, but I'm stuck with the flight so I'll need to make do.

I am hoping that you might be able to offer advice as to where in Montreal (in terms of neighbourhoods) we might be able to find affordable accommodation for the nights we'll be in town. We might have use of a car, so if there would be good outside the city centre, that might not be a problem.

From Montreal we'll be driving for a short road tour of Quebec and one or two neighbouring provinces.

Any suggestions you'd be able to give will be greatfully received. Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Quebec
Quebec
Canada
Montreal by Marie Tour
Walking Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Spade & Palacio Non-Touristy Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Not interested in Grand Prix - any suggestions?

snr_sydney,

Perhaps you have taken rickb's advise the wrong way. I did not find it condescending at all, it just might not be what you wanted to hear. Unfortunately, on these forums we get a lot of people who post their questions without trying to get information themselves. You wouldn't be the first to underestimate the size of this country. Even having 3 weeks, 2 provinces is a lot.

You asked for advice so here it is :

TIMING:

Rickb's advice and others are 100% true. If you are staying here 3 weeks, try to "tweak" your itinerary so that your stop in Montreal is not between 11-13 of june. It will be a lot more enjoyable this way. Otherwise you will have a hard time finding a hotel.

AREAS:

When choosing a hotel try to stay either in Old Montreal, downtown or latin quarters.

DISTANCE:

Choose cities that interest you and calculate the distance. Google maps is amazing for this. Once you've worked out a itinerary post it again so we may give better input.

Good luck.

12. Re: Not interested in Grand Prix - any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2010, 12:17