We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring break in Montreal

bluegrass
Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Spring break in Montreal

My husband, teenage daughter and I are looking at Montreal for a six day spring break. We like physical activity and thought we could ski nearby, but were told today that Canada's unsually warm winter this year means no skiiing (or sledding or skating) for us. While we certainly enjoy culture and arts immensely, we also like to be physically active. Any suggestions for active things to do during our visit? Also, we're thinking of staying at the Residence Inn in Downtown Montreal and Tripadvisor gives it good reviews. Does that sound like a good place for us to stay?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
357 reviews
1. Re: Spring break in Montreal

You can kiss outdoor skating goodbye already...lol I`m not a big skiier so can`t really comment on weather or not there will still be snow north of Montreal in the ski areas. My gut feeling is no, but with artificial snow you never know.

There is a great indoor skating rink at le 1000 de la Gauchetiere which is really fun.

http://www.le1000.com/index_en.asp

Right now the best outdoor activity which people are getting back into in droves is biking! :) YAY!

Montreal has great bike paths which cover the entire city which I find a great activity. You can usually rent bicycles in old Montreal not sure if there gonna be up and running though. I would recommend bixi a pay per use bicycle system but it doesn`t start again until May.

If you want to go a bit out of the city you can always go hiking in the Mont-Tremblant area. Might be a bit muddy considering your timing. You could of course walk around Mont-Royal park which isn`t really hiking since the paths are paved but still lots of fun. Hopes this helps a bit.

bluegrass
Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Spring break in Montreal

Thanks so much! We love biking and ice skating. Does the hotel I mentioned (Residence Inn Downtown) sound OK and is it in a good location? Do you have theatre suggestions?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
357 reviews
3. Re: Spring break in Montreal

The Residence Inn downtown is in a great location. Located on Peel and Maisoneuve its just one block from the main street of Montreal (Saite-Catherine). The east west downtown bike path runs along Maisoneuve boulevard so you`ve got great access to the rest of the network if you chose to rent bikes or bring your own. Your also very close to the Peel metro station which gives you access to the rest of the city.

The main two English speaking theatres in downtown Montreal are the ScotiaBank Theatre also known as the Paramount, and the AMC. Most people won`t know the ScotiaBank theatre actually so stick with the Paramount name. The ScotiaBank is located just 2 blocks from your hotel and also has an IMAX in it. The AMC is a bit further away on the corner of Sainte-Catherine and Atwater but it has way more screens (22) and is nice to see because its built in the old Forum where the Canadiens used to play. They have preserved centre ice so you can actually stand where the action used to begin! Here`s a good site for schedules.

cinemamontreal.com/aw/…AMC_Forum_22.html

cinemamontreal.com/aw/ctha.aw/que/Montreal/e…

bluegrass
Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Spring break in Montreal

You are so kind to respond to my questions. I'm pleased that the hotel is in such a good location. Regarding the theatre, I actually meant live theatre, (plays), rather than movies, but I certainly appreciate all the great advice that you've given me. While I 'm sure my teenage daughter will love shopping, that is not my favorite thing to do when I visit a new place, so the arts are always appealing. Thanks again.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
357 reviews
5. Re: Spring break in Montreal

Not much into live theatre so of course I went the Hollywood way. Here is the link to the Place des Arts. They have many shows on regularly so I`m sure you can find something you like. If you walk down Sainte-Catherine heading east you`ll eventually hit the Place-des-Arts which you can`t really miss. The area is undergoing a lot of construction has its being transformed into the Quartier des spectacles. The construction next to the Place-des-Arts will be the new home of the Montreal Symphony.

The first link is the Place des Arts website, the second I`ve included is the Montreal Symphony and lastly is the Quartier des Spectacles website. It has a rather long but interesting intro video but afterwards gives you lots of information on what is going on at the various theatres.

http://www.laplacedesarts.com/index.en.html

http://www.osm.ca/en/index.cfm

www.quartierdesspectacles.com/en/accueil/

6. Re: Spring break in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 17:26
Edited: 15 March 2010, 17:26
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: Spring break in Montreal

Hi Urser5,

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM.

You say Spring Break... but you haven't said when that is (Canadians don't have Spring Break like in the US... we have what is known as March Break... and for most of us that is now over and done with).

Skiing could possibly last until mid-April... a lot of that is going to depend on what happens with the rest of March. We indeed have had a very unseasonably mild Winter (El Nino) with the Jet Stream dipping down way into the USA instead of being here in the north... which is why places like Washington - Baltimore - NYCity have actually seen more snow than us this year.

I have heard though as of today, that the Weather guys at the Weather Network are predicting snow for later this month (and maybe even a lot of it... March Snowstorms and Blizzards are not uncommon).

LOL... "In like a Lamb... Out like a Lion" may just be true for 2010.

I suggest that you check out the TA MONT TREMBLANT Pages and TRAVEL FORUM for info on ski conditions (they post daily ski reports)... Tremblant is about 2 Hours North of Montreal in The Laurentians. They typically offer skiing thru to Mid-Late April.

When it comes to Live English Theatre you might want to take a look at The Centaur Theatre Company schedule = www.centaurtheatre.com/ I've been to many of their shows over the years, and they always put on a good performance.

Likewise, the National Theatre School offers productions in both French and English... but I am unsure of their current schedule (unfortunately I can't get their website to load).

There are also several other Theatre Schools in Montreal (found at various Universities & Colleges - CEGEPS) but most of them will have probably wound-up their season for the year and the students will be preparing for Exams.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,061 posts
8. Re: Spring break in Montreal

Unfortunately for you, most of Montreal's theatre scene is in French... but there are indeed English plays often. The main English theatre is the Centaur in Old Montreal, but there are other productions that use venues all over the place. Alas, you'll miss out on Shakespeare in the Park which is always fun.

The best thing is to pick up a Mirror or Hour, the two English free weekly newspapers, which will list anything going on during your stay here.

9. Re: Spring break in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 13:17