We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late night delivery

Boston
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Late night delivery

Hello All,

A somewhat odd question. I am visiting with a large group next month...we will be drinking and I am sure want food late at night at the hotel.

Now every time I have been in montreal I am always told to order late night from werbys. The food might be local fare...not sure but to my boston palete, well to put it plainly its made a few of us sick before, I remember my friend ordered a chicken parmigiana sub. They send a sub with chicken onions pickles brown lettuce and ketchup... with grated cheese on it, and the rest wasn't much better.

Please give me advice on a late night delivery food, subs pizza, that sort of thing. Doesn't have to be amazing, just not terrible...open late is best.

Thanks in advance

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Late night delivery

Well, late-night delivery isn't good anywhere, but Werby's is particularly disgusting.

If you truly want to live like the locals, you don't go home and order in. Instead, you say to the new hot babes you just met, "So, how about some poutine at La Banquise" (or whatever 24h restaurant is close by) since everyone knows that poutine ordered in becomes a disgusting mess, but when it's fresh and hot it's the perfect thing after too much drinking. What's more, the magical alcohol absorbing properties poutine, combined with the harsh lighting of the 24h restaurant, allow you to sober up just enough to realize how hot -- or probably not -- your potential date is BEFORE you suggest it go any further.

I for one am convinced that poutine has been more effective and cost-efficient than any amount of sex education in keeping Québec's teenage pregnancy rate among the lowest in Canada, and much lower than that of the U.S. :)

For a list of 24h places (woefully incomplete, as there are lots of others), see http://www.montreal.com/tourism/24hr.html

For all about poutine including reviews, see www.montrealpoutine.com

Otherwise, I suggest you pick a hotel that has 24h room service :)

Edited: 16 March 2010, 04:18
Mentioned in this post
La Banquise
La Banquise
2,427 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late night delivery

TO TRISTOU,

LOL, I am really laughing at your post... so true.

Thinking that this "lets go get a bite" has been a Montreal practice forever (probably why late night take out & delivery is soooo bad in Montreal to start with... none of the local order in).

Back in the day (lets just say I've been around longer than Poutine) after a night of college drinking we'd hit one of the many 24 Hour Diners (hole-in-the-walls) or Delis and order one of the all day Breakfasts... nothing like toast and bacon & greasy eggs to sober one up.

That is what JARAZIX should be asking....

"I am staying at _________ where can I find a 24 Hour Diner / Greasy Spoon".

TRISTOU... thanks for the stroll (um... stagger) down Memory Lane.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 16 March 2010, 05:17
Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal Poutine
Montreal Poutine
696 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
montreal
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late night delivery

If you're talking about Werby's on Park Avenue near Sherbrooke, it's been replaced by another resto.

But there's always the good old Alto almost next door that stays up till the wee hours. Is the food good, not really but not that bad either and who cares at four in the morning, and they do deliver: pizza, poutine, hot chicken, hamburgers, kebabs...

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke
Sherbrooke
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late night delivery

boustan delivers/open pretty late. they are on crescent/de maissoneuve.

in my opinion they are the best option for post drinking/ late night eats in the downtown area.

Boston
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Late night delivery

Thanks guys. Yeah the random places I wandered into in my travels seemed ok...thats why the delivery being disgusting was so surprising.

Werby's might be closed you say? Good it deserves its own layer in hell. I guess the answer is late night wandering, thanks for the suggestion on Cresent as its close to where I am staying so I will have to try it.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late night delivery

Werby`s what a terrible place that was! Thank God its gone. I unfortunately ordered from there once and did get sick as well! Great post Tristou :)

I personally like Dunn`s famous. Its open 24 hours and offers ridiculous portions for a good price. Plus they have smoke meat poutine which normally wouldn`t sound good but at 3 am its the bomb! :)

www.dunnsfamous.com/montreal_smoked_meat.htm

7. Re: Late night delivery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 13:16