We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from BC to Saskatoon Feb. 28 2009

nanaimo
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving from BC to Saskatoon Feb. 28 2009

Any advice?

How is the weather at this time of year when driving this route?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from BC to Saskatoon Feb. 28 2009

Hi hailsnow,

In two words: wildly variable. You could easily experience the joys of spring and the depths of winter on the same trip almost anywhere along the route. On the prairies, the temperature could range from -30C to +15C. It could be warm and beautiful, or there could be a late-season blizzard. I suspect the same is true (albeit not potentially as chilly) through the mountains. Your best bet will be to constantly monitor the Environment Canada weather site, as well as the highway condition sites for each of the three provinces.

I hope that helps (if only a little).

nanaimo
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from BC to Saskatoon Feb. 28 2009

Thank you for your information.

Do I need chains?

I have a truck and wondering if I need chains.

What is considered ideal conditions to drive?

Again thank you.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,311 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from BC to Saskatoon Feb. 28 2009

Ideal conditions would be bare and dry pavement. I don't actually know anyone who has ever driven with chains - if road conditions are that bad, you don't want to be out in it, imo.

What route(s) are you taking?

nanaimo
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from BC to Saskatoon Feb. 28 2009

I was thinking of going from Vancouver - #1 - rogers pass - etc.

But I was thinking if the weather is that bad of perhaps route through the states. Still not too sure on that yet.

I guess I'm mainly worried about Rogers Pass.

Thanks for the great advice.

Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from BC to Saskatoon Feb. 28 2009

It would be best to have winter tires, i.e. not all season or summer tires, but if you live in Nanaimo, that would add quite a lot of cost to your trip. It would be wise to have chains for a few of the passes in the mountains. Otherwise, keep a close eye on the road conditions. At that time of year, you can experience a strange phenomenon on the prairies: if it is windy (which it often is), if there is snow on the ground, and ifthe temperature is around 0C, the roads are often at their worst, as the snow blows onto the highways, melts, gets pounded down by traffic, and turns into a thick coat of ice. Hopefully, that won't happen, but if it does, stop driving for a while.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from BC to Saskatoon Feb. 28 2009

I don't know if going through the states will be any easier as you'll still have to go through mountain passes which are always susceptible to snow in February.

7. Re: Driving from BC to Saskatoon Feb. 28 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 21:20
Get answers to your questions about Saskatoon