We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with my mom

Cape Town, South...
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with my mom

We are travelling to Railay (East) with my elderly mom. I am a little concerned about her negotiating the longboats on the beach. Is there any other way to get there that does not involve arriving on the beach?

15 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with my mom

Unless you're James Bond and want to parachute in, no.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with my mom

There is a path from Ao Nang but requires a good degree of fitness.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with my mom

If she is over 70yo not a good idea. Stay at Ao Nang. That's where most restaurants are. Railay is boring at night.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with my mom

No path from Ao Nang Bill I don't think. There are paths connecting all the Railay beaches which are steep in places.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with my mom

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15970…

London, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with my mom

Railay east has a floating pontoon with longtails from Krabi town.

Railay west is approached from Ao Nang and is a beach landing, could be ankle deep, the hardest part is climbing down the metal ladder off the boat. Not for the elderly/less mobile, easy to slip & fall.

Take your mum to Hong Island instead, that has a similar floating pontoon as well, made from plastic floating interlocked boxes which she will be wobbly on , but if you take her arm & go slow, should be ok..

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with my mom

Most defiantly easy to navigate. I am in my forties and suffer with really bad arthritis. I am at Railay now. The had no issue getting here.

From Ao Nang there is a little creek on the beach on the bend (down from the Holiday Inn) that has cement stairs. The long tail can pull up at the stairs, very very very easy to walk on.

Then get the long tail to take you to East Railay, there is a floating pier, you simply walk off the boat onto the floating pier which is really stable and onto the footpaths.

As a family of four, we paid one way for this trip 1500 Thai Baht. Yes overpriced however worth every cent to not negotiate waves and ladders and potential injury or a frail person. We left when we wanted, and we decided pick up and drop off point. Happy for you to message me if need more info.

Railay is paradise and totally fine for those who are mobility impaired. Many hotels have golf carts and can assist. I even saw a wheel chair for hire at a chemist here!

Cape Town, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with my mom

Thank you so much for your input. Greatly appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with my mom

@2blessedinlife, thanx for your feedback, never read that on here before. I remember the little creak as we walked over the bridge to walk the footpath to centara hotel beach, but it was just too hot & humid.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with my mom

Hi, I am planning to travel with my parents (both over 60-year-old) to Railay beach. Just wondering if the longtail boats have stairs to climb into them. Even though my parents are physically fit, they are short-built. I will book the air tickets based on the response I see here :)

So, thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Reply to: Traveling with my mom
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Railay Beach
Recent Conversations