We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

Sawatdee everyone!

My wife and I are going to be heading to Railay on January 3rd from Chiang Mai. We land at Krabi airport around 2pm. My question is whether the long tail boats still travel at that time, and if so what’s the best pier to get one, or if we should post up at Ao Nang for a night then head over the next day? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kawpkoon!

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Krabi Airport
Krabi Airport
Krabi Town, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
16 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

Go to Ao Nang beach and there are loads of people selling tickets. They'll take you in a free shuttle (songtaew) to the pier where the boats are. They stop when it goes dark.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang Beach
Ao Nang Beach
5,804 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

You should be fine the boats are still running and you should be able to get one from Krabi town... :-)

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,323 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

Boats run regularly between Ao Nam Mao pier, near Krabi Town, and Railay East throughout the day until quite late at night, so there's no need to go as far as Ao Nang. Plus there is now a floating jetty at Railay East so you no longer have to get out of the boat into the water and wade across the mud flats.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

Just back from Railay, so I am expecting I would be able to help.

From Krabi Airport, you should go to Ao Nammao Pier (Not Ao Nang!!!). The drive should be around 20-25 minutes and for shared van, it should cost 100-150 THB per person.

Ao Nammao has a small pier, so you do not have to jump into knee deep water. From there, long tail boats will take you to Railay beach.

2 advices from my side:

1. Check the high tide and low tide timings online. During low tide you may have to walk into the muddy sea with heavy suitcases.

2. Avoid going via Ao Nang beach. When we went, we saw no pier and because of low tide, boats were very far. We had to give 100 THB per head for the bags to be carried till the boat, got our shorts drenched and had to drag the bags on our own when we reached Railay West.

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Krabi Airport
Krabi Airport
Krabi Town, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
4,791 Reviews
Railay Beach, Thailand
Ao Nang Beach
Ao Nang Beach
5,804 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
edmonton
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

Great information. We are doing the same trip in February.

It will be our first time. Can anyone be specific with where we go at the airport to get the taxi to get to the pier. As much detail to get to Railay Beach would be appreciated. I’m always a nervous doing something the first time.

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
4,791 Reviews
Railay Beach, Thailand
Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
447 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

We are also doing this trip in November flying into Krabi after spending time in Bangkok would also like information as to how to get to Railay Beach from Krabi airport and where we go to get a taxi when we land and where we should ask the taxi driver to drop us off (which pier) when we arrive at Railay are there taxis to take us to our chosen hotel or are the hotels in walking distance of the pier we are staying at bhu nag Thani resort and spa. This is our first time to Railay and first time organising transfers on our own so a little anxious as to what to do so any advise would be much appreciated thank you

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
4,791 Reviews
Railay Beach, Thailand
Krabi Airport
Krabi Airport
Krabi Town, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
mansfield uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

We followed the advice of Soham S #post4 & went from AoNammoa pier to railay east where there is a floating pier & your hotel is within walking distance of this pier - i would imagine they will collect & carry luggage if u contact them

Edited: 26 January 2018, 16:17
Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
447 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

Thank you so much

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,637 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

Just go to the transportation desk at Arivals in the airport to get a taxi.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay

Your best bet is to take a taxi directly to Wang Sai Seafood / longtail boats. Inside their large red ornamental gate, there is a courtyard, and immediately inside on the left there is a little ticket office. Buy your tickets for longtail from the lady there, both departing and returning longtail tickets for 100B or so each.

Know that this longtail boat service is the least shady and most reliable around (in my opinion at time of writing), and know you'll have to carry your luggage out into the boat in ankle to waist-deep water. It's an adventure- we had two 50 lb suitcases. I paid the boatman 100B to carry my wife's suitcase out. wear teva sandals or water shoes for this because there are crabs and god knows how many possible fishing hooks and volcanic rocks or coral chunks out there. You will get to make a hero's entrance at railay coming into the beach with luggage on shoulder into West Railay side.

You are going to be asked to wait until more passengers show up to fill a Wang Sai boat. If no passengers show up, they'll ask you to pay more. you can wait by eating in the lovely waterfront seafood/thai food restaurant. I recommend you first order two coconut shakes, then fried morning glory (pak boong), green papaya salad with shrimp (som tum goong), the soft blue crab preparations, the fresh squid, etc.

East Railay is where the "pier" of floating plastic cushions is, and also where the scammier boat services operate. I would only use East pier again if desperate. West Railay ticket booth doesn't seem as much controlled by longtail mafia- just anticipate that it could cost you 1000B to get out of Railay if you are in a hurry, fact is they control whether you leave or not. These guys are all connected by cell phone these days so they can control their guys and tip each other off. It could be that getting off Railay at the end of your trip could be more expensive. Just accept the things you cannot change! Wang Sai boats are clearly marked on the Bow and are in good condition. Also if you are staying in Ao Nang be aware that the boats from the pier will talk about taking you to all these other places and then they'll try to fill one boat and send it to Krabi town after you've waited hours. Just carry your luggage and stick with Wang Sai to Ao Nang (West Railay is on the Ao Nang side of the Railay peninsula which is cut off from the mainland by cliffs, limestone, and jungle. If you are staying in Krabi town consider the pier. Also there is a taxi mafia in Krabi town and we paid an exorbitant fee to arrange a taxi to the airport with luggage, at the little stand above the pier area. You could walk into town and get a cheaper taxi easily but we just paid it and moved on as I'm older and wealthier now than I was in my backpacker days and couldn't give a toss about 500B extra.

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Reply to: Traveling from Krabi Airport to Railay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted