We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Railay vs Phi Phi

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Railay vs Phi Phi

We have 3 nights and want to stay in west Railay and also Phi Phi. Which area should we spend more time at?

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
8 replies to this topic
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
591 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Railay vs Phi Phi

Where are you coming from or going to?

With 3 days, I would chose 1 or the other. The best part of being on Phi Phi is mornings and evenings after the day trip crowd have departed, so definitely a few nights there would be worthwhile.

If you are staying at AO nang at some stage, you can easily spend a day on Railay. Unless you are rock climbing, that may be enough.

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Railay vs Phi Phi

Railay. Spent 3 days there, took a day trip to Phi Phi, was so glad I hadn't stayed there.

Depends on what you're looking for but I wanted chill beautiful beach and that was def not Phi Phi.

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Madrid
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Railay vs Phi Phi

Railay was fantastic and gorgeous! Limestone cliffs surround the whole area. The beaches were fantastic! I have spend time on Koh Lanta, which I would assume would be somewhat the same. It is more laid back and quiet and I must say I would much rather spend my time there than Phi Phi, although Phi Phi Lei is very beautiful, but very crowded and loud.

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
591 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Railay vs Phi Phi

That highlights the point that I was making. Day time in Phi Phi is best spent away from the beach where the ferries come in. Just take a long tail to a quieter beach, they are plentiful.

The best way to experience Phi Phi is to stay on Phi Phi. I love hiking to the view point for sunset or swimming as the sun rises. It is still a magical place.

Tonsai becomes a zoo from 11am- 3pm but its not hard to escape it.

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Railay vs Phi Phi

Lisa M

I just came back from Krabi. I was the Railay and Phranang beach for one whole day, and it was totally worth it. You can have plenty of things to do there. Railay west is the best! Try the north corner of the beach, which remains relatively less crowded and super nice view of the entire beach. You can do some nice hike to the viewpoint and railay lagoon. Try some kayaking if you want. I did that and it was just amazing experience.

On the other hand, I did the Phi Phi day tour (along with Maya Bay Island and Chicken Island) from Aonang with a speedboat. Which was an absolutely great decision I think. They offers good lunch and great time for snorkeling. overall a great tour.

I have only 2 days for krabi, so i couldn't stay any of these place at night. But if i had time, i would stay at Railay for sure. If you love partying, then stay at stay 1 night at Phi Phi, but if you like to experience the calmness of the seaside you can try the Railay.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Maya Bay
Maya Bay
8,297 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Level Contributor
5 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Railay vs Phi Phi

We spent 3 nights in Railay and five in phi phi - if I were to do it again would’ve given Railay more time instead - more scenic and chill. Unlike anything else

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Railay vs Phi Phi

Forget both Railey & Phi Phi (far too crowded) and get over to Koh Lanta. Quiet and Paradise with beautiful beaches and idylic shack restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Railay vs Phi Phi

Phi Phi is busy and loud music in the evening, in the central area (pier and main street) If you want quiet and beautifull places on Phi Phi then you have to go to the east top side. (Holiday Inn) Phi Phi is not that beautiful anymore as before the tsuani, to crowed, to much party at the central side. When you go up, it is quiet. The area is beautifull by boat to explore. I went several times..and also Railay. But Railay is smaller and croweded by day like central phi phi also in may (off seizon) but i still love railay if you go with your boyfriend of family! If your looking for party go to phi phi in the main area (you cant sleep till dawn!) If you want to have Paradise and not so busy like this go to Trang Islands ;-)

Edited: 04 April 2018, 04:20
Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Trang
Trang
Trang Province, Thailand