We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,415 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

Here is the list of activities and typical prices that can be provide from Klong Sok (which is the name of the village at the entrance of the park but every one name it Khao Sok (especially taxis and bus drivers!) and an idea of prices per person:

Out of the park:

* Canoe trip on Sok River (800 - 1000 baht)

* Tubing on Sok River (300-500 baht)

* Elephant riding (800 - 1000 baht)

Into the park:

- Trekking:

* 1/2 day educational trek, (500-800 baht + park fees)

* 1/2 day to the Rafflesia, (800-1000 baht + park fees)

* Full day educational trek, (1000-1200 baht + park fees)

* 2 days with camping into the jungle (2500- 3000 baht + park fees)

* Survival treks from 2 to10 days (need to be trained! Quite expensive because requires several expert guides)

- Lake tours:

* 1 day (from 1500 baht with group up to 3000 baht each if private for 2 persons + park fees)

* 2 days 1 night (from 2500 baht with group up to 5000 baht each if private for 2 persons + park fees)

* 3 days 2 nights (around 5000 baht per person for a 4 person group + park fees)

* various private tours tailor made

Tours to Klong Seng Wilde Life Sanctuary: various private tours tailor made minimum 3 days (much more expensive than normal lake tours: distance on water is triple and a ranger is required for any activity there, plus use of a guide).

How to come and go:

- From Phuket or Khao Lak: buses every hour (4 hours from Phuket, 2 hours from Khao Lak). 1st bus leaving Phuket at 7:30, last one at 13:30.

- To Phuket or Khao Lak: buses every hour from 8:30 to 17:30 (approximately)

- From Suratthani: buses every hour from 6:00 to 15:00 (approximately) or minibuses in between.

- To Suratthani: buses every hour from 11:30 to 17:30 (approximately) or minibuses before and in between.

- From Krabi: one public minibus per day, departure 11:30

- to Krabi: one public minibus per day, departure 8:30

- From Bangkok:

* Night buses (might be better to to avoid for that route as the national one very complicated to book and catch and the private ones are not as reliable and uncomfortable)

* Night train to Suratthani train station (needs to be booked in advance)

* Flight to Suratthani airport

- To Bangkok:

* VIP night bus from the National Company of Transportation (leaves Khao Sok between 18:30 and 19:00 - needs to be booked in advance)

* Night train from Suratthani train station (needs to be booked in advance)

* Flight from Suratthani airport.

Bus schedules are not always adhered to so advisable to turn up early.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
145 replies to this topic
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

Brilliant news that Khao Sok National Park now has its own forum. This will be so helpfull to members looking for information.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,130 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

well done mr.a. another great posting ,hot on the heels of your insight to khao lak.

question? is there anyway of finding out when the rafflesia is in flower?we tried to do this in borneo at mount kinabalu but had none displaying when we visited.

nb1

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,415 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

Hi Barry,

Email Mathilde at khaosokexplorer@gmail.com

She is a Khao Sok local and should be able to advie you.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
england
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

Excellent post, great info thanks!

I am hoping to get to khao sok instead of stopping in bangkok for 2 nights due to the current situation in bangkok. The problem is I've checked flights and the only one we can get arrives in surat thani at 19.40. Is this too late to get to khao sok from there, as I see you mention the buses stop at 15:00? Should I just try and get a hotel near surat thani and then travel the next day?

Also is it necessary to book accommodation there or can we just turn up?

Many thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,415 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

Hi,

The latest information I have is that the last bus from from Surat Thani is 16:30 and the last minibus 17:30. The first bus in the morning is 08:30 and minbus 06:30. Buses are every half hour before lunch, every hour after. Minbus is every hour, price 150 baht.

You could always get a taxi from Surat Thani, booking your accommodation in advance so that they are prepared for a late arrival. I would book in advance anyway or at least pick your favourite options as you would want to spend more time in the Park/at the Lake than searching around for accommodation.

We stayed last December in a tree house at the Baan Khao Sok resort booked through Khao Sok Explorer at …e-monsite.com/…114832.html (the resort is described as Khao Sok House on this website). Even if you choose another resort or another site it is worth contacting Mathilde at Khao Sok Explorer to ask for advice about getting to Khao Sok based on your flight arrival.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,415 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

Update on bus timetable and fares from local contact:

"I can now be more precise about the buses leaving from Khao Sok as they wrote the official schedule on the new bus stop:

to Suratthani: 7:30; 9:00; 10:30; 11:30; 12:30; 13:00; 14:00; 15:30; 16:30; 17:30 to Phuket: 8:30; 9:00; 9:30; 10: 30; 11:30; 12:00; 12:30; 13:30; 14:30; 15:30; 16:30 I'll try to get the official schedule from Phuket and Suratthani too...

Note: there are also minibuses running between Suratthani and Khao Sok.

Suratthani ? KS: every hours from 6:30 to 17:30; KS ? Suratthani:

every hour from 8:00 to 19:00. Price: 150 baths."

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

if i had to choose one tour / activity to do here what would you suggest? we are staying in phuket and will probly only have time to make one day trip to here, is it worth all the traveling? will i have to get there on my own or are there tours running to the national park from phuket?

thanks for any info its greatly appreciated

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,415 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

There are definitely tours that run from Phuket as we saw minibuses and tour groups from there when we were there last December. However, for a day tour it will be a very long day with the amount of time available in Khao Sok not really able to do justice to it. Very much a whistle stop tour.

If I were to Choose between going into the National Park at the main entrance and hiking up one of the trails or going an hour up the road to Rachaphrapha Dam and Cheow Lan Lake, I'd go for a longtail boat trip on the Lake. The trip we went on was about 5 hours including a visit to a cave and floating raft houses but you can do shorter ones. However, getting to the Lake from Phuket, particularly if you are staying near Patong or further south on the island, it will take a good 4 hours each way.

A post on the Phuket Forum asking the views of anyone who has done a day trip and what they did on it would help to inform your decision more I think.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

arandora

thanks for you reply, if we do a tour from phuket i will have to make sure we make a whole day of it then, i would deffinatly like to go there as it looks beautiful. i will go ask people on phuket forum as you suggested and see what they say

thanks marley

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,415 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok

Some more ideas for tours http://www.khaosok.com/package.php

Reply to: Typical tours, prices and getting to Khao Sok
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted