We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight camping/place to park!

Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight camping/place to park!

My boyfriend and I will be spending the day Thursday skating the Lake Windermere Whiteway and I was wondering where we could stay in our van the Wednesday evening? All campgrounds seem to be closed over the winter, and I was just wondering if anyone knows where it's available for us to park for the night in either Invermere, Windermere or Radium?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
calgary
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight camping/place to park!

A hotel would be your best bet. It will be very cold in your van overnight.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,559 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight camping/place to park!

Cruiser, I was up in Manning Park last weekend and there were tent campers. People do it!

Well certainly BC parks doesn't make it easy to find this information. Premier Lake is listed as having winter camping.

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/premier/

You have to look for that little tent+snowflake icon, and then scroll down to find it to get the details. Not sure if this location would be accessible in winter.

So far as I can see, the Rec sites are listed as open, although you may want to do some more research regarding snow preventing access to the sites or the campground.

sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/…

Blind Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight camping/place to park!

https:/…windermere

My vote would be NO way !!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,550 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight camping/place to park!

The Invermere Hostel might be a good investment......

or call the town to see where you can park www.invermere.net/operations/bylaw.html

Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight camping/place to park!

Thanks for all your info! I've emailed the towns of invermere and radium to see if they have any more info. It's so hard to find places to park overnight, especially places with power for our space heater. In the summer it's easy with the campgrounds.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
13 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight camping/place to park!

Hi Keah,

Thanks for posting your question on this forum! Did you ever get to Invermere and Radium with your van?

Hotels are expensive. There are so many taxes...G.S.T., the PST/Hotel Tax..., the

Municipal and Regional District Tax (MRDT), and the Regional Destination Marketing Fees. Maybe other taxes and fees that we are not aware of. This makes things expensive. We all need to ask the hotel we want to book about the exact fees we will be paying for our stay. Some reception staff appear to not be aware of some of these taxes. We have asked outright.

TripAdvisor has a good page discussing it: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154922…

The web also has this page which explains things: https:/…pst-120-accommodation.pdf

When we travel and need to stay in a hotel, we budget for an extra 25% (just to be sure we have enough funds). Sometimes we have paid taxes on fees.

Good for you for looking for alternatives to high hotel costs, like camping in your van. I hope your inquiries were fruitful.

Safe and Happy Travels to you and all TripAdvisor readers :)

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight camping/place to park!

it is possible to winter camp there according the website.

Reply to: Overnight camping/place to park!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Invermere