We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport calgary to invermere

Newcastle upon...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
public transport calgary to invermere

Hi

I would be grateful for any info about how I can get from Calgary to Invermere in early April without a car. Thanks

Judy

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Invermere
Invermere
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
7 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,304 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport calgary to invermere

www.greyhound.ca

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport calgary to invermere

Wow, that's a 10 1/2 trip with a 4-5 hour wait in Golden and it's an overnight trip so you miss all that fantastic scenery. If you don't drive, or under 25 fair enough, but if it's just a case of "Ooh, I can;t drive on the wrong side of the road!" Then if I can drive on the wrong side of the road, having to change gears with the wrong hand, up through the narrow roads of the Rhondda Valley, with cars parked halfway on the pavement on both sides, then I'm sure you can drive this, most of which is wide quiet four lane, but this is a narrow bit. https://goo.gl/maps/rWpZBBYzTm72

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport calgary to invermere

And that's 10.5 hrs if there are no road closures - in early April, there's more than a slight chance of having roads closed somewhere along that route. This winter we've already had some significant closures due to snow, accidents, avalanches and avalanche control. Plus Greyhound doesn't have a good on time record in the best of the weather & road conditions.

Agreed - unless you don't have a license or are too young to rent a car, rent a car. Greyhound is a very poor option in this case, both because of their customer service/on time record, and because they take a much slower route (the direct route is via 93S). Private limo companies might do that route, but it would extremely expensive. You might also look for a carpool arrangement, though there's no a huge amount of traffic headed to Invermere in the winter.

Either way, in early April, you will need to be flexible. As mentioned, road closures can happen on that route, particular going via Golden. Early April can be a high risk time for closures due to avalanches and avalanche control. So you don't want to be returning the same day/day before a flight, or heading out the day you have important plans in Invermere.

Mentioned in this post
Invermere
Invermere
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport calgary to invermere

Can you give us any more details? Like why invermere? Are you going skiing at panorama? Or visiting friends/family and don’t want to put them to any trouble? It’s generally only a 3 hr drive (I stress, in good weather) from Invermere to Calgary so friends may be less “bothered” than you think and may be willing to oick you up . If you are flush with cash you could fly from Calgary to Cranbrook and drive to Invermere from there - it’s only about 1-1/2 hrs and the road does not go through the mountains (it runs alongside the Rockies) and usually there is far less snow on that chunk of highway compared to driving though the national parks.

Mentioned in this post
Invermere
Invermere
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Cranbrook
Cranbrook
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Radium Hot Springs...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport calgary to invermere

Good Morning

Kara here from Tourism Radium, unfortunately we no longer have Greyhound service in our area, but we do have a bus that runs once or twice weekly from the Columbia Valley Chamber of Commerce to Calgary, the link is from this summer but I highly recommend contacting them for dates and times the bus goes to Calgary.

https://www.cvchamber.ca/calgary-connector/

Kara

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport calgary to invermere

2018 dates are listed here - it's running every other Thursday only so April 12 and 26 are the only dates in April:

https:/…

Edited: 27 February 2018, 05:05
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
728 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transport calgary to invermere

Go to the Invermre Ride Share Facebook page and see if you can arrange a ride. People are really good about setting up rides. It’s not easy to get here now Greyhound has quit.

Reply to: public transport calgary to invermere
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Invermere