We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking suggestions

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Hiking suggestions

Does anyone know of some nice day hikes near the Halliburton area?

We are avid hikers looking for a bit of a challenge; elevation gains, or really anything that has beautiful scenery?

5 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking suggestions

In your other thread you asked about hiking suggestions in Algonquin Park; Algonquin is adjacent to (technically, partially within) Haliburton County, so is this for a separate stay? Which part of Haliburton are you looking for hiking trails in?

I'm also a bit confused because in your other thread you said you were looking for short easy hikes because you'll be with your older, inactive parents, and in this one you said you're avid hikers looking for a challenge... would you be with the same people?

In any case, take a look at Jeff McMurtie's impeccably detailed map of Algonquin Park and surrounding area, including a good chunk of Haliburton (southwest part of the map basically): http://www.algonquinmap.com/ He includes hiking trails that are not well publicized. Trails are marked in purple.

Note that although the area is rugged, it is not mountainous; you're not going to get elevation gain of the sort you would in western North America. You may get trails that include, say, a short, steep climb to a ridge overlooking a lake or something.

Edited: 11 June 2015, 03:31
Mentioned in this post
Haliburton
Haliburton
Ontario, Canada
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking suggestions

Thanks for the info.

This is all the same trip. We are staying in Halliburton but going to do one drive through Algonquin with the parents. The other hikes won't include them.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking suggestions

Alright. And where in Haliburton are you staying? It is a large area. If you're in the northern part of the county, as I said before you can peruse the lower left quadrant of Jeff's Map for hiking trails; for those associated with organizations or properties that have websites, there are shortened URLs right on the map for trail info.

If you're looking in southwestern Haliburton County, see this map of Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Provincial Park (a mouthful, I know): http://www.explorethebackcountry.com/#!qewmap/c5c4 Unlike Algonquin, QE2WPP is a "non-operating" provincial park without much in the way of facilities or maintenance, but as you can see from the map there are a couple of branches of a regional trail system passing through the park, and a couple of hilltop lookouts that you could get to by starting a hike from the parking lot marked on the map as access point D1.

In the southeast corner of Haliburton County is Silent Lake Provincial Park. Perhaps the Lakeshore Hiking Trail would be of interest. http://www.ontarioparks.com/park/silentlake (click on the Things To Do tab)

You said your trip is in late September. Around that time you might find that the fall colours are better farther north (in and near Algonquin) than farther south (around QE2WPP and Silent Lake), but it's hard to predict. So when the time draws closer check the Ontario Parks fall colour reports at http://www.ontarioparks.com/fallcolour (ignore what's on there now, hasn't been updated since fall). See if there's a difference between Algonquin and Silent Lake in what's being reported.

Mentioned in this post
Haliburton
Haliburton
Ontario, Canada
Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Provincial Park
Queen Elizabeth II...
15 Reviews
Kawartha Lakes, Canada
Silent Lake Provincial Park
Silent Lake Provincial...
119 Reviews
Bancroft, Canada
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking suggestions

Thanks for the info.

We are staying near Wilberforce so it looks like Silent Lake is nearby and a good option for exploring and hiking.

I was looking at the trip into Algonquin from Wilberforce - it seems to be about equal driving time to the east and west gate from our cottage. Do you think one entrance would be better than the other? I don't know if we'll end up doing a complete trip through the entire 60 corridor and if one entrance has more attractions nearby it would be good to know.

Edited: 16 June 2015, 03:12
Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking suggestions

Hmm. I guess I'd say a lot of the trails/attractions that were suggested in your thread about Algonquin would be in the eastern half of the Hwy 60 corridor: the Lookout Trail, the Big Pines Trail, the Spruce Bog Boardwalk, the Visitors Centre, the Beaver Pond Trail, and the logging museum. The Two Rivers Trail is about halfway between the two gates and anything else I might have mentioned is in the western half. So it might make sense to start from the east gate to prioritize that area. If you find you make it more than half way across the corridor, you can exit the park via the west gate and loop back to Wilberforce from there as a change of scenery.

By the way I didn't mention it in the Algonquin thread but if you do make it to the West Gate area, a great spot to take your parents would be Ragged Falls. This is a small separate provincial park just outside Algonquin on Highway 60. Your Algonquin Park pass will cover you for parking there and from the lot it's a short easy walk to a very nice waterfall.

Also, if you have time for an additional hike (without the parents) in the Wilberforce area, you might want to consider the High Falls Trail. Technically it's in Algonquin Park, but it's not in the Highway 60 area, it's at the southern tip of the Algonquin "panhandle" that's closer to where you'll be. I'm not sure it's even really treated as an official park trail but it's visible on the map I linked in the first reply. It's fairly flat and easy but it leads to a waterfall with a natural water slide, in case it's still warm enough for that. Something to consider if you're interested.

Mentioned in this post
Beaver Pond Trail
Beaver Pond Trail
121 Reviews
Algonquin Provincial Park, Canada
High Falls
High Falls
50 Reviews
Bracebridge, Canada
Reply to: Hiking suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Haliburton