We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iqaluit in end of May

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Iqaluit in end of May

Hi,

I'm trying to find out some information about what's there to do at the end of May to first week of June. Does polar bears come close to town or is it safe to do some light hiking outside of the town?

Is the Northern lights common at that time of year?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

3 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,039 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iqaluit in end of May

Sorry I can't answer your questions about Iqaluit, except to say that there is almost 24 hours of daylight at that time of year, so I think the odds of seeing the aurora are not very good. timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

nunavut, canada
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iqaluit in end of May

If you like the outdoors, you will enjoy hiking in and around Iqaluit with no fear of seeing or running into a polar bear. Like anywhere else it's always safe not to go too far away from the community as you just don't know what you might run into. Very little to nil chance of seeing the northern lights as it's just about datlight all the time.

Nunavut
Level Contributor
95 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iqaluit in end of May

Polar bears near Iqaluit is uncommon, but it is definitely a possibility. This summer there was been sighting just on the outskirts of town and even a tent near our camping area at the river being destroyed.

June is best month for hiking, no bugs, a lot of snow has melted, lots of sun light but the tundra is usually pretty damp so good waterproof hiking boots is a must and some good gators to get you through any snow drifts that haven't melted yet.

No northern lights that time of the year. You need to come int he dead of winter for that or in the fall there is a chance when days are shorter and colder.

Reply to: Iqaluit in end of May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iqaluit