We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to travel??

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
When to travel??

Hi,

I'm looking into a trip to somewhere in Nunavut so experience the 'North' of Canada. A lot of the pictures I've seen of this area has been of lots of snow and ice - which is how I imagined the region to be. I was thinking of coming in July but have seen on the travel website that ice melts at this time.

Is there a particular time of the year that is better to travel to this region?

2 replies to this topic
Nunavut
Level Contributor
95 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to travel??

April. Lots of light, mild weather but still lots of snow and ice. Many towns have spring celebrations in April as well such as Toonik Tyme in Iqaluit.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to travel??

Agreed, go for Toonik Tyme in April in Iqaluit. It's a celebration of spring and also spring break for the kids. So there's lots going on while there's still snow on the ground, before the melt and the mud, and the bugs of May and June - big bugs!

Here's a tip to save money on flights. If you are going to take a dog sled ride, then contact the 'experience provider' and book a flight with him - he will have an arrangement with an airline. We two saved over $1k by booking this way.

Another tip: stop by the Legion Hall and ask for a courtesy membership for a few evenings - best place for really good food at most reasonable costs.

Reply to: When to travel??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iqaluit