We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

T C
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

Can anyone give me advice on how to 'search' for the best flight 'path' from Vancouver to Iqaluit. I'm thinking about a trip in the summer, I don't care which days of the week I travel and would like advice on how to find lower cost flights -- certain airlines, days of the week, any tips appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,152 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

You would have to get to Ottawa, Montréal or Edmonton for flights to Iqaluit, among a few other places. The flights are pretty expensive though. It's the North, a 3 hour flight from Ottawa. Air Canada or WestJet would be airlines to check for getting to those starter cities.

Have a look at page 8 for flying info: …iqaluit.nu.ca/i18n/english/pdf/resident.pdf . Don't know what happened to the printing on that brochure! The letters on the titles all overlap for me.

Expedia.ca would help you find fares. Or a travel agent. Two airlines that serve up North from Ottawa are First Air and Canadian North, both with return fares of approx $2000.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
216 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

Don't use the travel sites...no benefit in doing so. Best to book direct in case you need to change anything.

Get to Ottawa. Fly Canadian North (5T) or First Air (7F). One flight a day for each except Thursday when 7F has two. I do it all the time. The flights out of Edmonton are three stage (YEG-YZF-YRT-YFB and usually more expensive. You will have to overnight in Ottawa if route as I suggest.

The flights to Montreal are much less common and only First Air flies them. Keep in mind that flights are cancelled all the time due to weather, mechanical and flight hours. If you book out of Montreal, you will not be able to switch to the other airline if one flies and the other does not. It could become an expensive layover as you are on your own,

Do not apply southern travel logic to the north.

Canadian north has just announced it is flying to Halifax direct now. Probably not a great option for you, but an option.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,152 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

Thanks for reinforcing the book directly with the airlines. I use 3rd party booking sites for research, which is what I meant by "help you find the fares" but I didn't take it far enough. Booking 3rd party can often end up giving you headaches.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

Another option is Vancouver to Yellowknife the Iqaluit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

$2000 return, ouch!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

7100km return

Welcome to Canada

Nunavut
Level Contributor
95 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

Arctic Kingdom has a weekend special flights and accommodations. Price-wise it will probably be the best you can find. Come during the Alianait Arts Festival.

http://touriqaluit.com/getaways/

http://www.alianait.ca/

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

That is my commute every four weeks. Find a cheap flight Vancouver - Ottawa, then pay for the expensive one north from Ottawa.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

Great Canadian Travel has year-round every day of the week packages to Iqaluit, and other Nunavut communities:

http://greatcanadiantravel.com/tours/iqaluit

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit

flying to Iqaluit I would Highly suggest you take the 10:30 Air Canada flight to Ottawa avoiding 3 hours in TO stay at the Southway Inn in Ottawa as it is close to the airport and there is some nice place to eat in the area. Take the First Air flight to Iqaluit. I have not had very good luck with Canadian north getting me to m desstination in the last year.

Reply to: Flying Vancouver to Iqaluit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iqaluit