We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit: sunlight vs aurora borealis

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit: sunlight vs aurora borealis

I'm trying to gauge the weather in Iqaluit throughout the year to figure out when is the best time to visit and for how long. The most remote part of Canada I have visited so far was Newfoundland, but this would probably beat it by a huge margin. Aside from unusual for me landscapes, what would be really awesome is if I could see aurora borealis. But with that come a few logistical problems.

It's only moderately cold in the summer, and with long days - so great for exploring the area, but I guess the chances of seeing northern lights would be rather slim, no? Does it tend to be cloudy/overcast in the warmer months?

In the winter, the temperature is of the kind I've never even experienced, though I suppose with the right clothing it should be workable. Long nights would mean a great opportunity for sky gazing, as long as the cloud cover is not thick.

When is the best chance to see aurora, in terms of clear skies? Would 3-4 days be enough to make sure at least 1-2 days have good clear skies, or should I go for a week?

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best time to visit: sunlight vs aurora borealis

The Northern lights are often visible in Iqaluit, but they're nowhere near as spectacular as they are further south. Often just greenish-white smudges that could be confused with clouds. I have lived here six years and only twice seen the amazing colourful swirly shows you see in photos. You're way better off going to Yellowknife, which is also significantly cheaper to travel to.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best time to visit: sunlight vs aurora borealis

hi

just to throw a loop into the theory of where to go for northern lights this was taken in the Okanagan. https://flic.kr/p/kgDycc

Reply to: Best time to visit: sunlight vs aurora borealis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iqaluit