We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estimate my budget: food

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Estimate my budget: food

I'm planning/toying with the idea of a week long trip to Iqaluit. Figuring out how much I would need to reserve for various parts of the trip. Transportation, lodging and activities aside, there is food!

Typically, I spend about $40-100 per person on food when travelling in Quebec, United States, Europe. Depends of course on local pricing, how often we eat in restaurants vs cooking ourselves, and so on.

Judging by my research, it's a bit of a painful topic, in that cost of food in Nunavut is much higher than elsewhere in Canada. After looking at menus of Frobisher Inn and Waters’ Edge it seems the prices are ~50-100% higher than what I would expect from a "fancy, but not excessive" restaurant in Toronto. Could not find menus with prices from more casual places, but I doubt the Yummy Shawarma is going to cost me $6 like it does in a joint near my office. Looks like I'm not going to be eating out every day :)

If I extrapolate the 50-100% increase on my typical travel food spending, that would be up to $200 per person per day, which frankly, sounds crazy.

This page has photos from grocery store shelves that make me cringe huffingtonpost.ca/2014/12/15/nunavut-by-the-… but I'm guessing they selected the most cringe-worthy ones, right?

So are the examples in that page typical or just the outrageous ones? 'Cause it almost makes me consider packing my food "to-go". In particular with fresh veggies, what are the costs and how consistent is the selection?

On a semi-related note, relating to alcohol, I read that Nunavut banned European imports. If I were to bring a few bottles of nice Italian/French wine, or Portuguese port to give to my host (I'm planning to stay in a private rental), tour guides, etc as gifts would they think it's cool, or would they take offence? I find token gifts like that can be a great ice breaker, but if the residents mostly agree with their government's stance on European products, I would not want to offend them, and stick to something from outside of Europe.

6 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estimate my budget: food

Have you contacted your host about the food prices? They may have "insider" tips and be able to give you their expertise....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estimate my budget: food

Well, I don't have a specific host in mind. I'm in very early stages of determining what to expect out of this trip, so haven't booked anything. Instead of bothering people personally with unsolicited questions decided to ask here… maybe not the best place to find actual Iqalummiut.

Edited: 23 January 2015, 12:44
Whitehorse
Level Contributor
858 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estimate my budget: food

I don't think you would offend anyone with a bottle of wine. Doubling your food budget is wise. Social media may help find locals to answer your questions. Good planning!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estimate my budget: food

Some of the articles in the last week are not the most encouraging regarding food there....I just saw a flurry of articles, sure enough after this posting...

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estimate my budget: food

FYI

Latest flyer for food at the "Foo*mar*" ;0)

northmart.ca/flyersCatalogues/northmart.php

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Estimate my budget: food

Thanks for the link! Looks like I'll survive :)

Reply to: Estimate my budget: food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iqaluit