We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan/dairy free/gluten free places to eat?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Vegan/dairy free/gluten free places to eat?

Is there anywhere where I can eat, or should I be planning on booking a room with a kitchen and go out shopping for my own fruit and veggies?

3 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan/dairy free/gluten free places to eat?

Dairy and gluten free probably not an issue, but I think vegan will be much more of a challenge. In a town/city of 6000-7000, there aren't that many restaurants to begin with, and given the importance of country foods in the Inuit diet, I suspect there are very, very few vegans. I know that the shawarma place near the airport would have vegetarian options, but beyond that...

While there should be no issue in buying gluten free foods and veggies (plenty of gluten free options in the stores in smaller Nunavut communities), be aware that purchasing food will not be cheap. There is some subsidy for fruits & veggies, but prices can easily be twice what you pay "down south". Options can also be quite limited, depending on the time of year and how many flights were able to land (in the winter). Generally you get a generous free luggage allowance into Iqualuit, so it's worth packing your own food where feasible, and saving your money for the most perishable/delicate items.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan/dairy free/gluten free places to eat?

Thank you! Are there any health food stores for vitamins and dietary supplements?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan/dairy free/gluten free places to eat?

I have not been in Iqaluit itself (only through the airport), but my understanding is that the Northmart (http://www.northmart.ca/) is the main grocery/general store with a basic selection of items. There's also a Co-Op and at least a couple other grocery/general stores, hours varying. There is apparently an online health food store that delivers via air freight 2-3 per week, but you'd have to order in advance and pay the freight charges (www.ecoproduce.ca).

There is a pharmacy which likely carries some basic vitamins, but as I mentioned, everything has to come via air or sea freight, and so especially in the winter, things may not be in stock or essential items may be prioritized. The Iqaluit pharmacy is also the pharmacy for most of the smaller Nunavut hamlets, so probably focuses on more essential drugs/prescription drugs/supplies.

Again, prices will be very high compared to those in Toronto, so if you need vitamins and/or dietary supplements, I would bring them with you (use that weight allowance). Unless you are going for an extended visit, there's no reason to need to buy those in Iqaluit.

Edited: 06 October 2016, 04:22
Reply to: Vegan/dairy free/gluten free places to eat?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iqaluit