We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

Level Contributor
32 posts
Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

Hello:

I'm going next weekend with a friend for our first time to London for just 3 days, 2 nights. We are traveling very light, just with our bag, no suitcases neither carry on.

The issue is that we land at Gatwick airport and then we leave from the London Stansted airport.

I have a free night certificate so I plan to stay at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel for the 2 nights. Yeah, I won't use Heathrow airport but what I see is that it's well connected to public transport and take around 1 hour to reach downtown. The other option is the Courtyard London Gatwick Airport Hotel that would be nice the day we arrive but after that we are stuck there.

We plan to spend all day outside, using a Hop on Hop off bus.

Do you think is it ok or it's a must to get an hotel in downtown?

Thanks!!!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,731 Reviews
from US$122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from US$125.00*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
770 Reviews
from US$102.40*
18 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,262 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

Gatwick would be the lesser of the two evils but really get a place in London.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

If your free night certificate is for Marriott Group hotels there must be better options to use it than either Heathrow or Gatwick?

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,554 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

You then have the journey from LGW to LHR just to stay at a hotel?

Thats another hour or so,and though we don't have the saying "downtown" here guess you mean the centre of London?

You are going to be spending 2 hours a day back and forth from LHR,why not look for something more central that would then benefit you getting to Stansted

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,899 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

<<We plan to spend all day outside, using a Hop on Hop off bus>>

The HoHo bus can be a good way of getting an "overview" of outside many places in London (especially in your first day there by doing a full circuit of the HoHo without getting off) and to get ones bearings of the overall layout.

But -

HoHo is not a good means of "transport" within London. On days 2 & 3 you will get around better by combinations of walking, tube/underground, normal buses or even by river boat.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
5. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

<<< 1 hour to reach downtown. >>>

London doesn't have a 'downtown' as in smaller US cities, but it has a large central area. Travel within that area is best by underground, bus or walking. A HoHo bus is not a sensible means of travel other than an initial orientation circuit

Level Contributor
32 posts
6. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

#2: Like which one? The only I see it's Moxy London Heathrow Airport , Bexleyheath Marriot or Waltham Abbey Marriot Hotel but they don't seem to be much closer or located next to a bus or subway.

Level Contributor
32 posts
7. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

I plan to get in the HoHo bus that's supposed to stop at every touristic attraction so we could drop off the ones we're interested in or am I missing something?

Yeah. By downtown I meant London

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to plan the trip in advance but I look forward to get as much as I can from your beautiful country.

Any specific advice is welcomed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
1 review
8. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

I think this is in the Marriott group https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g…

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
9. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

<< I plan to get in the HoHo bus that's supposed to stop at every touristic attraction so we could drop off the ones we're interested in or am I missing something>>.

Yes - the inefficiency of the HoHo as a means of transport (and the cost)

<< By downtown I meant London >>

Yes that is realised, but you are clearly underestimating the size of London and the central area

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN

www.marriott.co.uk list no less than 20 hotels in what is considered central London

Reply to: Arriving at LGW and leaving from STN
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted