We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Heathrow to Cornwall

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
From Heathrow to Cornwall

Will be arriving LHR on 4/30 and pick up car next day heading out to Port Isaac for 2 nights, will be visiting St. Ives and Penzance, St. Michael's Mt. Have 3 more nights before heading back to London. Since 5/2 is UK's public holiday (Bank Day) I am worry about heavy traffic. On our return to LHR to drop off car I like to know where we should stop and visit along the way. Have been to Bath and Oxford. Should we venture over to Wales a bit and spend a night or 2 before heading East? Any suggestions - where to stay and good restaurants would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Port Isaac
Port Isaac
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
St Michael's Hotel & Spa
St Michael's Hotel & Spa
1,530 Reviews
Falmouth, UK
London
London
England, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Cambs
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

We go to Cornwall for two weeks each year and find it's never long enough! If I were you I would take the opportunity to visit some more of this fantastic County. Would this be something you'd be interested in? If so, I am sure you will be inundated with suggestions! I hope you've pre-ordered the sun because I don't think there is anywhere better on earth when the sun shines (it's not so bad in the rain either!).

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

<<Since 5/2 is UK's public holiday (Bank Day) >>

If by 5/2 you mean 2nd May, its not a Bank Holiday. (FWIW when posting in the UK forum best to use month as a name, and day , because 5/2 to the natives here, means 5th February .)

No idea where you should stop on the way back, since you don't say how long you are planning the journey to take*, or what sort of thing you'd like to see (ruins? castles? Stately homes? villages? sea? Hills? cities? museums?). Should you go to Wales? Dunno. Depends how long you have and where in Wales its a big area (relatively speaking) with mostly slow roads.

As for good restaurants somewhere alongside a 250 miles or longer yet to be determined route, indeed country, errrm ,sorry .....

* you say you "have 3 more nights before heading back to London" - does that mean, the trip back takes 3 days, OR does it mean, you spend 3 days in Cornwall after St MM and THEN head back?

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
London
London
England, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
775 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

According to our calendar the Bank Holiday is 7th May which is the first Monday of the month.

Heathrow to Tintagel is 250 miles and we are about 8 miles from Port Isaac.

Heathrow is right on the M5 so once you have managed to get out of Heathrow (!!!) it is easy after that and nearly all fast roads except the last 20 miles or so.

Mentioned in this post
Tintagel
Tintagel
Cornwall, UK
Port Isaac
Port Isaac
Cornwall, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

As you seem to be having a night's sleep somewhere before venturing into the SW you could consider the Night Riveria train to Penzance and pick up a car there before heading back towards Heathrow. Means you aren't covering the same gorund twice. If you arriving early in teh day then just take an ordinary train from Paddington or Reading which would mean using the Heathrow Express / Connect or the Railair coach. Thanks to the brillance of the people who design such thinkgs it's impossible to collect a through ticket from Heathrow to anywhere by train - except London - so you have to go somewhere else first to collect them

firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/On-boar…

heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions…

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Reading
Reading
Berkshire, UK
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
1,035 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
cheshire,uk
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

Should that be M4 motorway? The M5 is from Birmingham going South..

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

Thanks for all your input and help. Yes, I do mean May 2. I got the bank holiday on the web. May be I read it wrong. The reason I rented the car is because it is cheaper to rent a car for a week(5-7days) than buy the train tickets for 2. We Californians drive a lot and driving should not be a problem, we just have to remind ourselves to drive on the wrong side. We do have a GPS and I also googled maps of all the places we plan to visit. It will take about 4 1/2 hours to drive 249 miles to P. Isaac. We planned to visit Highclere Castle on our return, but the tickets were sold out for May 4 and 5 and we have to head back to catch the evening Eurostar on the 6th. The weather report for the next 10 days will be wet mostly, there fore I think we should head back east and stop at some quaint little town for a night or two. We like nice hotels with character and good food. Just looking at the map of south western UK, I see Exeter(?), we can stop at Bath(parking is a big problem), or drive south to Salisbury or Portsmouth. Any suggestions there?

Mentioned in this post
Highclere Castle
Highclere Castle
2,641 Reviews
Newbury, UK
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

< The reason I rented the car is because it is cheaper to rent a car for a week(5-7days) than buy the train tickets for 2. >

But you lose 2 days of your trip reaching Cornwall that way - and if you take the sleeper train then you save the cost of accommodation.

The real problem is that cheap train tickets appear around 12 weeks before date of travel and get more expensive the nearer to the travel date - for example booked early enough the sleeper train would have cost £69 for two people.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
775 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

I did mean the M4 not the M5 which you get on at Bristol area.

Normally less traffic than the M4 and a relief to head south for home to us!

Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

Thanks again!We are settled in at the Premier Inn and will start our trip on the motor way. Our GPS broke down before we left the States. So we are counting on the good old map and google directions. We will stick with the M 5 or 4. The weather is nice and hope tomorrow will stay the same.

Mentioned in this post
St Mabyn Inn & Restaurant
St Mabyn Inn & Restaurant
455 Reviews
St. Mabyn, UK
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Heathrow to Cornwall

We Californians drive a lot and driving should not be a problem

---

That means nothing. Comparing Calafornian roads, and British roads is a ridiculous comparison. British roads are far, far, far busier. You need many times the attention on the roads. The roads have many more junctions, and especially when you get to the South West, past Exeter, become a lot trickier, they can be very quick, winding A roads.

Statements like you made are just down right dangerous

4 makes by far the best suggestion, the sleeper is a far better option, as it will save time, and not cost much as you are offseting travel against accomodation, and petrol, which on that journey would cost a huge sum.

Mentioned in this post
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK