We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

We plan to have a week in Falmouth next June and not sure what part of town we should stay, near the harbour, beach or near the station, as we have not been before. We will be coming down by train, so not have transport other than using bus or ferry. Eden Project and Lost Gardens of Heligan are the main purpose of coming otherwise we will have free days to explore. We would appreciate suggestions of whether it is better to be near the station or bus depot. We do like being able to see the sea or near enough to walk there. We like interesting fishing harbours. Are there restaurants near most of these areas? We would be happy with an apartment or somewhere we can cook meals if necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Eden Project
Eden Project
10,433 Reviews
Bodelva, UK
13 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

If your two main aims is to visit the Eden Project and Heligan, Falmouth might not be the best place to stay without a car. Both places are at least an hour's drive away and obviously longer by public transport, although you could go by train to Truro and then St Austell and either get a taxi or bus from there.

But if Falmouth is the place to be, I'd always recommend staying by the beach or harbour as it's much more interesting. Most of the town's restaurants are in the main street but nowhere is too far from amenities really.

Mentioned in this post
Eden Project
Eden Project
10,433 Reviews
Bodelva, UK
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Truro
Truro
Truro District, UK
St Austell
St Austell
Cornwall, UK
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

Thanks for that. You have made us do more thinking. We realise we would need a bus to get anywhere but thinking of time now. Would Fowey be any better if using public transport to Eden and Heligan? Also we are finding not a lot of self contained places, for the week we want Monday to Monday, near the water and reasonable price are left in Falmouth. We are now wondering if we get a place that we really like in Falmouth, we love the little cottages, maybe near the estuary and ferries, and hire a car for a couple of days to do Eden and Heligan and see a little of the area, Do the ferry crossings when we don't have the car. We assume hiring a car is no problem in Falmouth? Thank you BellaHampshire for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

Fowey is lovely and almost a smaller version of Falmouth and definitely more convenient for the Eden Project and Heligan.

One of the reasons you are having difficulty finding self catering accommodation from a Monday to Monday is that our designated weeks for cottages/houses are from Friday to Friday or Saturday to Saturday, not from a day of your choosing. I know it's not like this in Australia, and probably not in NZ, where you can choose any combination of days and start/finish. You will have to start and end your holiday on the change over days advertised. June isn't quite peak season but is very popular so you're right to be thinking about booking now and it's not quite as expensive as the school holidays, i.e. July and August.

If you come by train, you can hire a car at Truro station but best booked in advance and it would certainly make getting around easier. I've just had a quick look at this website

http://www.creeksidecottages.co.uk

and there is plenty of availability in many of their gorgeous sea/creek view cottages in Falmouth BUT their change over day is Saturday, which is the norm. Look at the little village of Flushing (just outside Falmouth but with a foot ferry to cross the estuary which runs all the time, so no worries about parking in town) - there are some nice cottages available there on the above website. When you do book somewhere to stay, wherever it is, you must ask about parking and whether it has some or not - it's a good idea to have a designated parking space or drive.

Mentioned in this post
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Eden Project
Eden Project
10,433 Reviews
Bodelva, UK
Truro
Truro
Truro District, UK
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

Charlestown or Fowey might be better. They are nearer the places you want to visit. More cottages rather than flats. A contributor stayed in Fowey for 2 weeks and was able to get around using public transport and taxis. Or is there a special reason for choosing Falmouth?

Mentioned in this post
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

No particular reason Kernewes why we started looking Falmouth. First concentrated on Fowey because we loved it after our visit over 13 years ago. But had difficulty finding a place for our dates so realised maybe it isn't now how we remember it. So then wondered about Falmouth as we have never been there. We are really trying to avoid getting a car so have started back on Fowey as it does appear closer to Eden Project. We take note BellaHamshire, about the change over days. Yes, not usually a problem in NZ. A little difficult for us as we have a reasonably planned holiday for a month so not too flexible with dates. Have discovered Classic Cottages who are prepared to look at a change of start date. But we need to wait till our query is referred to the owner. So fingers crossed and we may end up back in Fowey after 13 years. It was a pretty place. Thank you for all your help. Has been most useful.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Eden Project
Eden Project
10,433 Reviews
Bodelva, UK
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

Falmouth is not at all like Fowey. As well as being a tourist destination it is a working town not a little fishing village. It has a harbour with a big ship repair business and a university. However away from that the beach and promenade are lovely and it has independent shops and cafes. It just depends what you are looking for.

Have a look at this trip report.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

Thank you Kernewes. I did enjoy reading the report on the Fowey holiday. That's similar type of holiday we would like. But must squeeze it into a week unfortunately. I will try and check out the Cornwall bus ticket she mentioned. A great write up.

Mentioned in this post
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

Kernewes, it depends on how you evaluate something. Yes, of course I know what Falmouth has compared to Fowey, but the overall feel of the two is quite similar in my mind - on the coast, boats, pretty, little roads, interesting shops/cafes etc - that's all I meant by a smaller version.

OP, I'm glad to have helped.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best accommodation in Falmouth without transport

Bella I wasn't criticising you, I know you know. Just thought I should point out to OP, who has visited Fowey before, that Falmouth isn't like that particularly near the harbour and station. I think Falmouth is a great place to stay but quiet little village it is not.

Mentioned in this post
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply