We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth

Hi there,

I am looking for the best way to travel from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth, and it seems there are three main options (none of them easy hehehe):

1 - Fly from Barcelona to Bristol, and then get to Falmouth by train(s) (possibly having to change at least once at Truro).

2 - Fly from Barcelona to London, and then get to Falmouth by train(s) (possibly changing at Truro again, maybe taking a sleeper train?).

3 - Fly from Barcelona to London, fly from London to Newquay, and then maybe bus / train to Falmouth.

I will be travelling alone, possibly with a huge amount of luggage, so I'd rather choose the easiest / fastest way to travel. However, I don't know which option may be the best one...

(1) Bristol seems closer, but it looks like the airport is actually far from the train station itself, and there may be a lot of train changes and stuff.

Taking a train from London to get to Falmouth (2) would probably involve moving from the airport to the train station, and then maybe taking a couple different trains, possibly with long waiting times between them.

(3) Flying to London and then to Newquay seems faster, but I think there's a lot of time between both flights, and then the train from Newquay may also take a while...

By any chance, is there someone who has done this trip before and has some advice as to which may be the best / most recommendable way?

Thanks in advance! :)

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Truro
Truro
Truro District, UK
London
London
England, UK
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
6 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,714 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth

Bristol Airport to Bristol Temple Meads station only takes about 25 minutes on the bus.

Then it is 1 or 2 changes of train to get to Falmouth.

I think that is quite easy!

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,415 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth

Easiest would be flying with BA via Gatwick. Gives you a protected connection unlike any other routing

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,040 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth

I don't really think there's a great dela more complexity in getting from Bristol Airport to Falmouth than there would be form Heathrow. I like Bristol Airport myself. I find it much easier to deal with than LHR.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth

If you have lots of luggage, consider how you will carry it all yourself, on and off trains where there will be no porters to assist and no luggage trolleys. Take a rucksack if possible and make sure that the number of other bags to be carried does not exceed the number of available arms.

If you're going to Uni there, consider that student rooms are quite small so there won't be room for loads of "stuff" and if you will still have lots of luggage, consider getting some of its sent by DHL or similar.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
11,276 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth

The change at Truro to the Falmouth train is quite simple as it involves walking a few steps to the adjacent platform.

Newquay airport always seems to me to be in the middle of nowhere so that option would be my least favourite.

Edited: 24 April 2018, 00:41
Mentioned in this post
Truro
Truro
Truro District, UK
The Falmouth Hotel
The Falmouth Hotel
1,276 Reviews
Falmouth, UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth

Thanks everyone for your quick answers.

I think I'll go with the Bristol + train option, as it seems to be the easiest / quickest one... I'll check train schedules to minimize waiting times (but without going with a too tight schedule, just in case there's something with the plane, collecting the luggage and such), but it seems doable (tiring, but doable).

As for the luggage, I've mastered the technique of carrying three pieces of luggage with only two arms (as long as they have spinning wheels). It's not the most comfortable option when having to board trains, change lines and stuff, but I guess that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. :)

Thanks!

Reply to: Getting from Barcelona (Spain) to Falmouth
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Falmouth
;