We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Falmouth

TN
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in Falmouth

Hello, We will be in Falmouth in May 2012 on a cruise. We will have some free time to do some shopping. DH & I like to buy locally made items. Any suggestions of where we can shop for such items?

Thank you,

The Curious Art Market
Gift & Speciality Shops
Beside The Wave
Gift & Speciality Shops
Vintage Warehouse13
Gift & Speciality Shops
Wearnes
Gift & Speciality Shops
Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
920 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

Hi, Falmouth has a few 'made in Cornwall' shops.....from the Docks where I'm guessing you will be moored you will easily find the start of the shops which winds It's way up to The Moor. There are quite a few Art Galleries which contain local artists work with local scenes. If you want to buy local....you must also try local and have a Rowes pasty, there are a lot of pasty shops but if you want a 'proper' traditional one visit Rowes local family owned business been around for years and years, there are 3 shops one at one end closest to docks, one with a restaurant at the other end by Superdrug then the 3rd is situated on The Moor. Have a lovely time. Caz

Knutsford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

There are certainly a lot of local arts and crafts in Falmouth as you can see if you look at the town's website at www.falmouth.co.uk/shops-businesses. If you prefer a food related souvenir consider visiting Rick Stein’s deli on Discovery Quay (it’s the first group of shops as you walk from the docks) opposite his fish and chip shop.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

Falmouth is probably the worst place to shopping in cornwall

the fact that its a tourist resort more should be spent ion improving the shopping experience instead of catering for students like they do

less charity & coffee shops and more proper shops

but that will never happen with the council that runs it

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

<less charity & coffee shops and more proper shops, but that will never happen with the council that runs it>

That's not a Falmouth problem but a country-wide one, caused through a mixture of supermarkets, out-of-town shopping, on-line shopping and high business rents/rates. Hence the Portas review for the Government, delivered this week. But in the end it boils down how we, as individual shoppers, conduct our personal business.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

The students, and others, live in Falmouth and have a right to shop as well as tourists. They can't afford the high end tourist type shops, and much as I am sure they would like to, can't afford to buy their food in independent butchers, bakers and the like either. They need to shop in supermarkets and charity shops.

Cornwall is not Disneyland. People live here, and we need to be able to get on with our lives without being priced out of the market. I am sure most people who visit our county understand that, indeed, we are asked many times for ideas to do what the locals do.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

Worst shopping place in Cornwall? You're having a laugh! Try Camborne, Redruth, St .Austell, Bodmin,Liskeard, i could go on. Falmouth is better than all those.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

I agree Badcat

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

Well I think all you guys have just about put poor old ShelbyAD of his cruise.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

would you care to elaborate?

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Falmouth

ShelbyAD was inquiring about shops that sell locally made items, perhaps you would like to advise him on this rather than 'harping' on about what the local students want.

Just answer his question in a polite and gracious manner!

Get answers to your questions about Falmouth