We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Port Isaac

denver
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London to Port Isaac

Can you take a train all the way to Port Isaac from London? I see some of the previous posts, but thought there was a train station 3 miles from Port Isaac (North Cornwall Railway). Is there no connection from London? Thank you

Cornish Coast  Adventures
Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Harbour, Port Isaac, Cornwall
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Scenic Walking Areas
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Port Isaac

No train station in Port Isaac, I'm afraid. I think (but don't quote me) that the closest is Bodmin Parkway. Maybe there's a bus from Bodmin Parkway to Port Isaac, but I didn't see any while we were staying there (but, I wasn't looking for any either, as we had a car).

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Port Isaac

Yes, there was a train station 3 miles from Port Isaac on the North Cornwall Railway. That line closed in 1967.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,580 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Port Isaac

The nearest you could get by train is Bodmin Parkway; then it is two buses (555 Bodmin Parkway - Wadebridge; 584 Wadebridge - Port Isaac, both routes operated by Western Greyhound).

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

http://www.westerngreyhound.com/

denver
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Port Isaac

Thank you everyone. Got hooked on Doc martin and wanted to see Port Isaac :-)

La Grange, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Port Isaac

Did you find a way to get to Port Isaac w/o driving a car? My friend and I are HUGE Dr. Martin fans and want to visit the village possibly this Sept. What airport did you fly into? Did you stay right in the village?

Edited: 30 April 2012, 09:22
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Port Isaac

See post #3 above :-)

If you want to stay 'right in the village', there's the Old Schoolhouse Hotel (the school in Doc Martin) and there's a large B&B type hotel up towards the headland (up past the Doc's house) and I'm sure there's lots of other accomodation too - depending upon how long you want to stay, of course :-)

We've rented a cottage opposite the Old Schoolhouse (staying a fortnight in October) and are almost counting down the days until we leave Sydney for Manchester :-) The cottage is in a wonderful position, but we did book it almost 18 months in advance ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Port Isaac

PS - we're not flying into Manchester in order to get to Port Isaac - we start our holiday mid-September in the Lakes, then we go to Chester and Stratford-upon-Avon (each for a week) before driving down to Port Isaac and then over to Kent (each for a fortnight).

I think Newquay may be the closest airport to Port Isaac. Would you not consider hiring a car?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Port Isaac

There is quite a lot of accommodation in Port Isaac, but it does tend to get booked up early as it is so popular. It might be an idea to stay somewhere like Padstow where there is more accommodation and visit Port Isaac by bus that way.

Which airport you fly into depends on where you are coming from. There is an airport at Newquay, but destinations from there are limited. Exeter is a bit further away, but again, limited (although a lot more) destinations. You would be better placed to find out which airports it is possible for you to fly in to, then come back if you're still not sure which is the best one.

9. Re: London to Port Isaac

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 May 2012, 01:35
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Port Isaac

I'd like to go to Port Isaac from Paris by train. I'm not sure how to make the transfer from the main station in London to the train station that goes to Bodmin Parkway. Any help would be appreciated.

Get answers to your questions about Port Isaac