We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plymouth to Southampton and return

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Plymouth to Southampton and return

On 1 September my husband and I are going to Southampton, returning a week later. Can anyone advise of local firms who do transfers, maybe just for ourselves, or as part of a group. We've looked at trains but would prefer to avoid that as it means changing a couple of times and lugging suitcases. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Margtee

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Plymouth to Southampton and return

There is a daily national express coach that goes directly from Plymouth to Southampton that might be suitable for you.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
2. Re: Plymouth to Southampton and return

Thanks for that suggestion. I had already looked at the possibility but it takes 7+ hours on some of the trips and the only direct one does not get us there by the time we want. Anyhow thanks for the idea and I await any other possible suggestions from other readers.

Margtee

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
176 reviews
3. Re: Plymouth to Southampton and return

So if Train and coach are out, are you asking for local Taxi firms who do long distance?

ATB,J.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Plymouth to Southampton and return

At a guess a taxi from Plymouth to Southampton would be £200. Or you could rent a car, someone like a Hertz with depots in both places might not charge a one-way drop off fee so that would be about £50.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Plymouth to Southampton and return

Do you have a local taxi firm you use? You could try asking them for a quote.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
6. Re: Plymouth to Southampton and return

Thanks for all your replies. I will try all the avenues suggested but seems it might be cheaper for us to drive ourselves.

Margtee

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
225 reviews
7. Re: Plymouth to Southampton and return

Are you cruising?

Would suggest driving the day before you sail, and finding a hotel which includes parking.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: Plymouth to Southampton and return

Do you have a local taxi firm you use?

=====

Doh ! The OP is a local which I missed entirely... sounded from the Q as if they were tourists !

Edited: 21 February 2012, 06:47
9. Re: Plymouth to Southampton and return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 17:38