We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

minnesota USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

My husband and I are traveling to East Anglia the end of June for a week or so of vacation with some genealogy research. Two of the villages we will be visiting are Hemsby and Ormesby. Any suggestions for a place to stay in the area that is convenient to travel from (we prefer more deluxe places), any must sees (we love history)? We are planning to spend 2 days in London (we've seen the major sites) and would probably want to visit Cambridge on our way up.

Thanks.

16 replies to this topic
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

Are you travelling by public transport or hiring a car?

Are you doing any research at Record Offices on this trip, or just visiting and exploring the places your research so far has led you to?

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

Not sure what sort of accommodation you're looking for: A hotel, a B&B or a self-catering cottage can all be a 'de luxe' version of their type ....

So, what type, what sort of facilities, what sort of price?

Or were you trying to reflect something about the nature of the town/ village rather than the accommodation?

Edited: 11 April 2017, 06:36
Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
605 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

Assuming you have a hire car, I recommend staying in Norwich and driving over to the coast. The acccomodation is better as is the history and culture.

Maybe try Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel which offers very comfortable accomodation, has lovely grounds and a spa. Its on the east side of Norwich which gives easy access to the villages you mention.

Use the park and ride service close to the hotel, and visit Norwich for its history and heritage. Take an open top bus tour from the bus station when you arrive and hop on and off. Only £10 pp for the day.

(generally the de lux hotels are closer to Norwich than to the coast. There are plenty of places to stay in Hemsby and Gt Yarmouth but sadly nothing that I can think of that could be described as de lux)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,489 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

The Varsity hotel in Cambridge might suit you for your visit there. Double rooms (in offer) from the mid £300s a night.

On the coast Southwold and Aldeburgh have some upmarket places to stay in East Anglia.

To offer more focussed advice please let us know your nightly budget for accommodation.

Edited: 12 April 2017, 15:36
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

I suspect that you will want to visit the Norfolk County Records Office in Norwich - so a good reason to stay in Norwich.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

For real luxury complete with a Michelin star chef take a look at

http://www.morstonhall.com

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

East Anglia covers 4 counties, so can you be a bit more specific? You mention Hemsby and Ormesby which are on the east coast of Norfolk, and Cambridge which is in the west of the region. The roads aren't that brilliant, very little of what you would call highways, so travel between points will take longer than you think. North Norfolk is lovely, pretty villages and beaches, but a poor base if you want to get to Essex, for example.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

I hope it's not Wayzata's descendants you're searching for in East Anglia! W's kin are supposed to live somewhere in today's Iran.

Yuri.

minnesota USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

We will have a car. We prefer boutique hotels or deluxe B&Bs. I will be visiting records offices.

minnesota USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

Thank you for your help. Norwich sounds like a great option. We are more into history and walks than the beach. The family name I am researching is Marston.

Reply to: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about East Anglia
Recent Conversations