We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

minnesota USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

My husband and I are traveling to East Anglia the end of June for a week or so of vacation with some genealogy research. Two of the villages we will be visiting are Hemsby and Ormesby. Any suggestions for a place to stay in the area that is convenient to travel from (we prefer more deluxe places), any must sees (we love history)? We are planning to spend 2 days in London (we've seen the major sites) and would probably want to visit Cambridge on our way up.

Thanks.

16 replies to this topic
minnesota USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

This looks like a beautiful property. Thank you.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

St Giles hotel is right in the heart of Norwich, for good choice of restaurants etc, or Dunston Hall a couple of miles outside. If you want something a little quirkier, have a look at the Gunton Arms near Thorpe Market.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

<< We prefer boutique hotels or deluxe B&Bs.>>

Right on the doorstep in Ormesby in a stunning setting -

http://www.theboathouseormesbybroad.co.uk

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

You can do a free online search using https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I usually select the "All Districts" and "All Counties" option as I have found from experience that people I thought were only located in one particular area turned up in other areas of England I would never have imagined.

Before you go to the records office, it is a good idea to take as much information as you can. Using the above website will help you in that as you can do some research from the comfort of your own home.

If you want to order a certificate of any kind, you will need to have the volume and page number of the index where it is stored.

Don't forget that index books are completed per quarter (March, June, September and December). So, a birth occurring in the middle of, say, December, may not have been registered until the following January and will therefore appear in the March Quarter Index.

It is always a good idea to cross reference when looking for marriages. If you know the name of either the bride or the groom, use that to initiate your search. Once you think you have found the person you are looking for, make a note of the volume and page number. You can then do another search leaving everything blank except the year, volume and page number. This will provide you with a list of all the marriages that took place on that day in that district. You should then find the name of the other person.

The internet is a wonderful tool and after many years of genealogy research using various record offices, I managed to find my Canadian relatives online. I still get a thrill from visiting places where my ancestors lived or worked, even though many of the streets and buildings have changed dramatically.

It's a fascinating hobby and I wish you good luck in your search.

Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
604 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

You might find these walking tours of interest for a day in Norwich

https://www.norwich.gov.uk/download/download…

minnesota USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research

Thank you so much for your recommendations.

Reply to: Visiting East Anglia for Genealogy research
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about East Anglia
Recent Conversations